Minneapolis Travel Answers

change location

Transit or Rental Car

by margs Online Now Sep 24, 2007 at 1:44 PM

I will be in the Minneapolis area for a conference in late October. Since I will be at a conference with a shuttle bus service during the first two days, I won't need a car but I might want one for the weekend. However, I would like to not bother with a car rental at all. I will be staying around 494 and 100. All I really want to do is see Downtown Minneapolis, Mall of America, and possibly a college football game. I do not mind a bus ride of up to 45 minutes, but longer than that, the car and the interstates become more tempting. Is it possible to see a bit of the area with reasonable length rides on public transit?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Transit or Rental Car

by timessquare Online Now Sep 24, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Since you didn't give an address, use the Trip Planner at www.metrotransit.org

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lkdahl's Profile Photo

Re: Transit or Rental Car

by lkdahl Online Now Sep 24, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Rent a car. Your hotel is in Edina, bordering Bloomington, southwest of Minneapolis-St. Paul. Bus service is limited in the suburbs. Most buses going to and from downtown to where you are generally run during rush hours during the workweek. Weekend service is drastically reduced. Those buses generally run out of park and ride stations. To go to the Mall of America, you will most likely need to take a bus to downtown Minneapolis and either tranfer to another bus or take the train. Your hotel is about 10 minutes away from the Mall of America by car. You could do it, but expect bus or train or combo to run you well over an hour each way not including the time you have to sit around waiting for them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines