Minneapolis Travel Answers

change location

Apartments and Neighborhoods in Minneapolis?

by gaucho25 Online Now Aug 26, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Hi everyone!

I just moved to Minneapolis from NYC (Brooklyn gal all the way). I grew up in Park Slope and lived in Fort Greene for the past 3 years if anyone is familiar with those neighborhoods.

I think I'm deciding between a huge huge house in Kenwood with roommates
(like a half mile or 10 minute walk to the 6 or 2 bus stop to the U and 10-15 minutes to
Walker) or a much much smaller apartment building complex with a
roommate in Uptown right by the bus hub,the Y, etc.

Do you know anyone who lives in Kenwood by
chance? It's a huge place with a fireplace but seems kind of far from
things happening. (though I'm just spoiled by NY I guess). How are buses here in the winter? I'm going to grad school at the U, and heard parking is a pain in butt anyway so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with a car.

Thanks! Send me a line if you know anything.
Oh and if anyone knows of a place to get a knish, egg cream, real NY pizza or some good empanadas.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • laforstraveller's Profile Photo

Re: Apartments and Neighborhoods in Minneapolis?

by laforstraveller Online Now Aug 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Welcome to Minneapolis! Kenwood would not be the place for you if your are used to city life. You would much prefer the Uptown area. There are plenty of buses the run from the Uptown area to UMN, so a car would not really be necessary. I live in a suburb north of the Twin Cities, so for me a car is necessary--bus transfers here are ridiculous! If I want to go from one suburb to another, I first have to go downtown for any and all connections. Buses are really reliable no matter the season, though I don't know how the bridge collapse has affected traffic time to and from the U.

Not sure about the knish, egg cream, pizza, or empanadas.

Good luck to you as you finish your degree!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lkdahl's Profile Photo

Re: Apartments and Neighborhoods in Minneapolis?

by lkdahl Online Now Aug 27, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Have you looked into apartments in the Dinkytown/University area? Why take a bus or drive if you can live near or on campus and walk. Uptown is a great neighborhood but if you are going to grad school it might not be the most conducive area for studying. Kenwood is alot quietter and is less than a mile from Uptown. Uptown, you'll be right on the busline where as in Kendwood you might have to walk a few blocks. Either way, there are no direct buses that I know of from either neighborhoods to the UofM, so you will have to transfer, most likely in downtown.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines