Milwaukee Travel Answers

change location

Restaurant Recommendations for Milwaukee?

by randallm Online Now May 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Will be in Milwaukee in July and looking for any tips on good restaurants, from casual to upscale. any assistance appreciated. Looking forward to visiting.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • LoriPori's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurant Recommendations for Milwaukee?

by LoriPori Online Now May 2, 2008 at 4:49 AM

I absolutely loved our dining experience at "Mader's Restaurant". It offers authentic German cuisine in wonderful surroundings. The service was outstanding and the prices were reasonable for such a restaurant. So if you enjoy German fare, I really recommend this place.
    They are located at 1041 N. Old World Third St. Phone (414)271-3377 or toll-free 1-800-558-7171.
    They also have a good website www.madersrestaurant.com
    Also while in Milwaukee, you must visit the Pabst Museum.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Restaurant Recommendations for Milwaukee?

by traveltime08 Online Now May 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Milwaukee is one of my favorite U.S. cities- full of cultural and ethnic diversity- many areas of the city have certain personalities with corresponding cuisine. If you are downtown, Mader's or Karl Rausch's used to be great for German, The King and I for Thai, and we used to visit the 3rd st. area for Usinger's sausage, cheese and Ambrosia chocolate factory store for sweets.
    The Water St. area has many micro breweries and pubs, and lots of good places to eat, many where you can sit outside.
    There used to be a fun club called the Safe House- very interesting, spy themed, if you know the password, you could get in easily, somewhat hard to find, look for the entrance at the International Import/Export Co.
    There are many sports bars and clubs- just look for your favorite ethnic cuisine and you most likely will find it!

• movybuf's Profile Photo

by movybuf Online Now May 9, 2008 at 4:55 AM

There are many eating options in Milwaukee that are worth a look:

Upscale:

Bacchus on 925 E. Wells Street is very nice.

Lake Park Bistro on 3133 E. Newberry Blvd is good with a great location.

Sanford on 1547 North Jackson is supposed to be the best in the city. I have never been there because it is out of my price range.

Middle:

Cubanitas on Milwaukee St. has good Cuban food at a good price. Casual, yet nice.

Roots in the Brewer's Hill area has a great view and good food. A Little difficult to find.

La Fuente on South 3rd (or 5th?)St. has good inexpensive Mexican food.

The Safe House (as someone already mentioned) is a truly unique place to see, however the food is lacking. The ambiance makes up for the food though, and the drinks are pretty good. It is hard to find. Its on a little street called Front St. near the corner of Water St. and Wells St. There are two doors, one is the exit and one is the entrance.

Trocadero is another good place that is a little hard to find. They have really good breakfasts and dinners. There used to be an interesting bar on the second floor, if it is still around.

Cheap:

Kopps is a local chain that has the best and biggest burgers in the city. Plus their frozen custard is awesome!

Oakland Gyros on the corner of Oakland Blvd and Locust Ave. has the greatest gyros in the city. This one should not be missed if you like greasy American-style gyros as big as your head.

Hooligan’s around the corner of North Ave. and Farwell Ave. has good pub eats and cheap drinks.

• Re: Restaurant Recommendations for Milwaukee?

by Krause.R Online Now Jun 8, 2008 at 6:45 AM

For steak, most definately Mo's on Plankington. Excellent. Everything is a separate cost so just for food -I recommend NY strip with blue cheese broiled on top- figure50 min including dessert. Also recommend the lobster bisque. Decent wine list. Great manhattens-when I used to imbide

Seafood-I like Coast on the lakefront. Food is good, but view is excellent

Seafood appetizers-always liked Egan's on Water street. Appetizer far better then regular meal. In fact Water street is a good location in summer with numerous restaurants/ clubs. Many feature outside dinning

• Heatonkbrewer's Profile Photo

by Heatonkbrewer Online Now Jun 22, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I would agree with everyone elses posts but would also recomend the following:

Five O'Clock Club: Go here for a great steak, but dont be put off by the not so great neighborhood and exterior. This place has been around forever and is definitely a retro step back in time if you're into that. fiveoclocksteakhouse.com/wi/...

Old German Beer Hall on Old World Third Street, it is more of a bar than restaurant but has great German food in a much more laid back (cheaper) atmosphere than Maders. Love music sometimes too.

Brewery Tours: If you do one tour I would recomend the Lakefront Brewery, it is a microbrewery with great beers. If you go on a friday, they also have a fish fry on friday nights (another must-try in Wisconsin!). If you have timeand interest to do additional brewery tours, I would recomend Miller, due to the size and vastness of it. There is also a "Brew Cruise", it meets at the milwaukee ale house and you go down the river stopping at microbreweries... I've never done it but have seen it at the brewery when I've been there and it looks like a lot of fun.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines