Milwaukee Travel Answers

change location

Bad side of town? Good side of town?

by Alias_Spy Online Now Apr 4, 2005 at 10:15 PM

Hi! I'm from the south and I'm planning to move to Milwaukee. Is there anyone from Milwaukee or anyone who knows the city pretty well who could tell me what part of town I should stay in? Are there specific parts of Milwaukee I should be careful while I'm there? Bad parts of town? Good parts of town? FYI: I'm planning to attend UW-Milwaukee. Is it safer near the university? Any useful information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • blaird's Profile Photo

RE: Bad side of town? Good side of town?

by blaird Online Now May 10, 2005 at 9:17 PM

Are you still looking for a reply? If so, let me know. In any case, it is pretty safe near teh University, there are some nice areas near by.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Bad side of town? Good side of town?

by Chocchic Online Now May 13, 2005 at 8:39 PM

If you stay near the university you should be fine. I wouldn't want to go very far west of the university area at night. Milwaukee is like any other city of some size. Don't travel alone at night in neighborhoods that you aren't familiar with.
    Good luck - you'll love UWM - awesome BB team

• mcaffa's Profile Photo

RE: Bad side of town? Good side of town?

by mcaffa Online Now Mar 14, 2006 at 8:47 AM

I recommend you stay in the UWM area, especially if you're going to be studying there. I lived around campus when I went there and loved it.

Like someone else mentioned, stay away from the west...west of the river specifically. The northside is not too hot either, and the south side is a mixed bag. The east side (UWM campus area) is relatively safe and there's always stuff going on. The downtown area has some nice apartments too(east of Water St.), especially when you get near the lake.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck!
    Margaux

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines