Milford Sound

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Milford Track

by hjacobs Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Anyone else doing the Milford Track between the 27th April - 1st May? Also ideas on food please? Cheers :)

more
    • Milford Track

by hjacobs Online Now Mar 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Anyone else doing the Milford Track between the 27th April - 1st May? Also ideas on food please? Cheers :)

1 Answer Mar 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    • Hiking Shoes

by hjacobs Online Now Jan 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Probably a silly question, but is it imperative to have waterproof hiking shoes for the Milford Track (end of April). We are infrequent hikers and I have seen a pair on Trademe that have hardly been worn for buy now $25.00 - they are Nevados. We can hire them in Queenstown also. Cheers

5 Answers Jan 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM
    • Recommended car for driving to milford sound, ( hiring 4wd means no need of snow chains?)

by oneasish Online Now Sep 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM

hi
      I am planning to be in Milford Sound during mid October ,
      trying to figure out what driving conditions to expect so that I can hire a car accordingly.

2 Answers Sep 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    • Best time to do the Milford Track?

by Beckywebbwilson Online Now Aug 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM

What month is considered the best time to walk the Milford Track? I have heard that Jan. or Feb. but would like opinions from those who've done it.

1 Answer Aug 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    • milford track

by toogie Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM

how long does it take to walk the milford track

2 Answers Aug 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM
    • Milford in July 2013?

by jwmeis Online Now Apr 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM

My wife and I will be driving to Te Anau from Queenstown in mid July 2013. Is it best to book a Milford Sound tour ahead of time, or is it better to not book a tour and wait until we are in Te Anau or Queenstown with a better idea of what the weather might be? We have planned one night in Te Anau, and then thought we'd head toward Dunedin. Any suggestions?

4 Answers Jul 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM
    • NathanW's Profile Photo

Kayak equipment rental only

by NathanW Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Hi everyone, I am a fairly seasoned kayaker and outdoorsman from Canada and am trying to organize my own kayak experience in Milford sound this March/April. I have looked at a lot of the guided tour offerings for the area but would really prefer to just rent my own equipment as I expect it should be a lot cheaper and provide more freedom to explore as well. Does anyone know of anywhere in the sound its self that will rent equipment only or anyone in Te Anau that will do this?

Thanks!

1 Answer Mar 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    • Road to Milford Sound Closed

by Borisborough Online Now Oct 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Hi Folks - th eroad to Milford Sound is closed due to a rock fall and it is expected to remain this way for several days - see nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic...

6 Answers Oct 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    • What to take for camping the Routeburn track?

by Nick5a1 Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend are trekking the Routeburn track in early January, and are camping. I am a bit of a novice, so some advice on what to take would be greatly appreciated!

My list so far:
      - A lightweight tent (need to buy)
      - Small sleeping bad + some kind of mat
      - Ready to eat food (where to buy?)
      - Ice coffee mix or some way to get my coffee dose without boiling water

I figure it would be easier to take ready to eat food, and save on carrying cooking tools.

I assume you are not allowed fires.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

5 Answers Nov 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    • Clothing for Milford Sound

by weeteck Online Now Sep 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I'll be at Milford Sound in coming mid-Oct, taking the overnight boat cruise. Wonder if Waterproof Jacket is necessary?

We're also aware that the temperature there may drop to zero or lower in mid-Oct, do they have jackets for rental before or after we board the boat, or even at Te Anau?

Many thanks!

3 Answers Oct 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    • Milford in June

by smith.sarah Online Now Aug 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM

My husband and I are planning a trip to NZ in June 2012. We really want to see Milford Sound but are wondering what to expect. If anyone can answer my questions, it would help us get an idea of what to plan.
      1. Can we kayak Milford Sound in June?
      2. If so, can we do a self-guided trip with rented kayaks or do we have to go with a guided group?
      3. What is the Milford road like in June?
      4. What type of wildlife is in the Sound during this month?

Thanks!

5 Answers Oct 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    • A few questions about Milford Sound!

by gbe84 Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM

We're two Texans planning a June trip to NZ. That's when our summer break is, so that's our only opportunity to travel for any significant number of days. We have a few questions:

1. What are the best things to do in Milford Sound during the winter?
      2. We've read about overnight cruises but it seems like they don't occur during the winter...is that true? Do any companies offer a winter overnight cruise?
      3. Is there any place to stay in that area aside from Milford Sound Lodge? I've read several unflattering reviews of it.
      4. Any other tips? We have about 4 days to spend in that region and we'd like to take in the beautiful scenery as much as possible.

5 Answers Nov 26, 2011 at 1:22 AM
    • angusharrison's Profile Photo

Some basic information on the sound!

by angusharrison Online Now Jan 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM

Hey guys, I'm from Bristol UK, no experience of NZ at all but from the photos I have seen, I am completely set on visiting Milford Sound. However I just had a couple of questions I could do with answering...

-Is there a flat entry cost to visit Milford Sound or could it be done completely for free (on a student budget here!)?
      -Is it possible to drive down in a campervan and spend a couple of days there sleeping in the van?

Advice appreciated!

8 Answers Jan 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    • Second attempt to visit Milford Sound from Queenstown

by khalid48 Online Now Dec 6, 2010 at 4:09 AM

We will be in NZ from 24 Oct - 1st Nov 2011. From Queenstown we plan to drive to Milford Sound. Would like your advice on the following :-

Travel to Te Anau from Queenstown at 5 pm. Stay at Te Anau. (We did that
      before,we started from Queenstown at 6 pm, went to Arrowtown and reach Te
      Anau at 11 pm. Unfortunately the road to Milford Sound was closed.)

In the morning at 8 a.m travel to Milford Sound. Is there cruise ship around
      12 afternoon ? If yes, how many hours is the cruise, is it 2 hours ? How
      much is the charges per person.What is the normal cruise boat schedule in a
      day ? I know the earliest is at 9am. In order to take this cruise we need
      to depart Te Anau maybe at 6 am . Maybe thats too early.

Is the above itinerary OK ? Thank You.
      Khalid48
      Malaysia

13 Answers Dec 13, 2010 at 5:23 AM
    • How cold in Novemeber

by KJS349 Online Now Oct 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM

will I have to waear a winter coat while hiking in November...Is it cold in the huts at night..unguided

4 Answers Nov 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    • Milford Track in Off-Season (October) - Or Alternate Suggestion(s)?

by simmoja3 Online Now Jun 30, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Hello everyone,

For a number of reasons (mostly outside of my control!) I'll be visiting NZ the second week of October (arriving the 8th) and staying for about 10 days. Had really wanted to do the Milford Track, but understand that's a few weeks too early. So, had two questions:

1) Given that I will be on one stop of a longer route, I wont have a full set of trek gear with me. Would I be able to get gear in the area?

2) Assume I would need to plan on being almost entirely self-sufficient - food, drink, etc? And, any sense of how busy it could be in the time period?

3) If it's just not feasible (or plain dumb), can anyone recommend any alternate walks that are open a bit earlier in the year?

Thank you in advance!

4 Answers Jul 24, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Which boat tour to join?

by tracyskf Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Planning to go for a boat tour in the morning - anyone have got any positive experience to share with a particular boat tour company?

Hopeful for some good suggestions! Thanks in advance! =)

7 Answers Feb 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    • Which time of the day is ideal for cruise?

by kennyboi Online Now Nov 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Hi all, I am wondering which time of the day would it be ideal for the milford sound cruise. I am targetting 9am cruise due to being cheapest and no traffic or parking worries. But I am not sure if the sun's altitude might affect photography and view. Can you please advise? Thanks!

8 Answers Jan 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    • adrenalinejunkie1's Profile Photo

Equipment for Milford Sound 5 day trek

by adrenalinejunkie1 Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Hi there,

My best friend and I are doing the Milford Sound trek on November 28th and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what to bring that maybe they didn't think of or wished they'd had, essentials etc. Are the bags they have for hire good enough or do you wish you'd bought your own?

I also have bought some clothes though want to make sure I have got the right type of stuff... I have 2 t-shirts, singlet, a polofleece jumper, a jacket(water & wind proof etc), some long johns, wind & water proof pants and shorts all from Kathmandu is this enough warmth?

thanking you in advance!

3 Answers Jul 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    • June in Milford Sound

by travelman1407 Online Now May 23, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Hello, Is there anyone can tell me if it is a good idea to drive to Milford Sound from Queenstown and back in one day? How is driving condition in mid June?

Thanks.

16 Answers Jun 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    • JKL2010's Profile Photo

Contact Information for Milford Track Trail

by JKL2010 Online Now Feb 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Good Day,

My Husband and brother and law and I are going to be going to Milford Trail in 2010. Does anyone know what website we would go to and book the accommodation and to find out more about the trail. I have looked at a couple of websites but it is not what I am looking for. A)Cost for luxury accommodation B) Can you book it without a guide C) What are the parks fee D) is there a phone number that we can call to book the accommodation E) Website we can go and look at to find out more about the trail and the economy accommodation.
      Thank you everyone for helping me. This is going to be such a life saver.

7 Answers May 16, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    • Car Tranport Queenstown-Milford

by aomeda Online Now Jan 3, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Hello! Does anyone know of a service that will transport our car from Queenstown to Milford while we hike the Routeburn Track?

Many thanks,
      Anne

4 Answers Feb 17, 2013 at 4:50 AM
    • Question about Milford Sound in May - I've read pv postings..

by PriteshP Online Now Dec 19, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hi!

I had a couple quick questions:

I was looking to be in Milford Sound around May 8th. Reading the forums, it seems that the weather can be either a light dusting of snow all the way to a full out blizzard.

I really was not interested in tramping due to time limitations, but moreso just driving from Queenstown to Milford Sound and enjoying the views along the way.

What are the chances for the roads to be closed? And how long will the drive be during this time period? And can you drive at night?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

15 Answers Dec 21, 2008 at 9:05 PM
    • Which Tour Operator and What Time Tour ?

by PeterRo Online Now Sep 25, 2008 at 12:46 AM

In November I will be staying a couple nights in Te Anau. I plan to drive to Milford to hopefully avoid the coach crowds. What time cruise should I aim at to do that ?? And any recommendations for tour operators ??

My browsing so far has me thinking Mitre Peak cruises might be ok ?

Cheers for any help.

11 Answers Oct 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM
    • Bus/Coach Daytrip Queenstown - Milford Sound

by nararat Online Now Jul 23, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Thanks to some people who suggest Bus/Coach Daytrip Queenstown - Milford Sound. I'm planing my trip to Queenstown and would like to visit Milford Sound for a day. Anybody suggest a company/price? Thanks a lot.

1 Answer Jul 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    • Driving to Milford Sound end of Aug 08

by t_c25 Online Now May 11, 2008 at 2:17 AM

We have planned a day trip up to Milford Sounds into our short stay in South Island in August, but have recently read concerning information about Avalanches.

We have rented a 4x4 in the hope that this would be more suitable for the journey and had planned a day trip, leaving Te Anau and getting back to Queenstown for that night. I am aware thats about 5 hrs of driving in good conditions - that bit doesnt worry me. However, what are the chances of the road being closed or high avalanche risks at the end of August (28th/29th)? , The website i saw mentioned 4 months of risk but is it higher or lower in August.

I hadnt planned on getting chains, but saw that this is sometimes a legal requirement (not sure if i want to drive in such bad conditions). I really dont want to miss out on the beauty of Milford Sounds, but need some advise.

2 Answers May 12, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    • River Crossings on Milford Track in May

by MJThomas Online Now Mar 27, 2008 at 3:36 AM

Hi
      I have posted a couple of questions re the Milford Track but wanted to know if anyone can give me any indication of how difficult the river crossings are in the 'winter season' when the bridges are removed (we are planning to go in early May)? Obviously they are not inpassable as otherwise DOC would not keep the track open at all but does anyone know how deep the rivers are? Is the water fast flowing?
      Thanks.

1 Answer Mar 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    • Sandflies on Milford Track in May

by MJThomas Online Now Mar 16, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Hi
      Everyone has been warning me about the sandflies on the Milford Track and saying we should take insect repellent (which we would anyway) but what are the sandflies like in May? Are they still around or is it starting to get too cool for them?
      Thanks.

2 Answers Mar 16, 2008 at 3:17 PM
    • Transport from Queenstown to the start of the Milford Track in May (off peak season)

by MJThomas Online Now Mar 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Hi
      My husband and I are going to hike the Milford Track in May but it seems a lot of transport companies don't have scheduled transport 'out of season'. Can anyone recommend a transport company that will take us from Queenstown to the start of the track? I found one transport company (Topline Tours) who advise that their service operates between Queenstown and Te Anau only (departing Queenstown at 2pm), but we need to get to Te Anau Downs and then get boat transport to the start of the track.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

6 Answers Apr 20, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    • Hiking the Milford Track or Routeburn in early May

by MJThomas Online Now Feb 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Hi,
      I realise that the 'season' for tramping Milford or Routeburn ends in April but has anyone done it in May? Although there appears to be spaces available at the end of April, for work reasons we can't go until first week of May 2008. Would anyone recommend NOT doing it then? Is it that much colder than April and is the risk of avalanche that much greater? I know that the huts are stripped of a lot of the facilities such as gas cookers etc but we are happy to carry in whatever is required.
      Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

10 Answers Feb 24, 2008 at 6:29 PM