Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location

Clothing for Milford Sound

by weeteck Online Now Sep 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I'll be at Milford Sound in coming mid-Oct, taking the overnight boat cruise. Wonder if Waterproof Jacket is necessary?

We're also aware that the temperature there may drop to zero or lower in mid-Oct, do they have jackets for rental before or after we board the boat, or even at Te Anau?

Many thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Clothing for Milford Sound

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I have not seen any jackets for rent on the boats.

When travelling in NZ, not only Milford Sound, you always need warm and best waterproof clothes, even in summer. The weather and temperatures can change fast and dramatically.

A cruise on Milford Sound can be very chilly at any time of the year. If it rains you can stay inside the boat, and use an umbrella to walk to the boat. So theoretically you would not need a waterproof jacket. However, it would be rather funny to expect that the rain falls down strictly vertically, so you would not get wet ;-) It is also very windy in NZ, particularly in spring. If you do not have anything waterproof to wear you are destined to get very wet in NZ at any time of the year. An anorak would be good.

Best cruise time is early morning when it is still (very) chilly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Clothing for Milford Sound

by weeteck Online Now Sep 27, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Thanks Kakapo, that's very useful advice! :-)

• Re: Clothing for Milford Sound

by 21traveller Online Now Oct 5, 2011 at 3:48 AM

I would suggest you have a hat available to wear as well, it can help keep you warm. I am old fashioned so i would recommend it be wool. And you will need a water proof coat.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines