Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location
adrenalinejunkie1's Profile Photo

Equipment for Milford Sound 5 day trek

by adrenalinejunkie1 Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Hi there,

My best friend and I are doing the Milford Sound trek on November 28th and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what to bring that maybe they didn't think of or wished they'd had, essentials etc. Are the bags they have for hire good enough or do you wish you'd bought your own?

I also have bought some clothes though want to make sure I have got the right type of stuff... I have 2 t-shirts, singlet, a polofleece jumper, a jacket(water & wind proof etc), some long johns, wind & water proof pants and shorts all from Kathmandu is this enough warmth?

thanking you in advance!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Equipment for Milford Sound 5 day trek

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 29, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Have you already checked out this page, I think the list is quite good:

doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

It is essential that you do not only have rain protection for yourself but also for your backpack, gloves for the case it gets cold, those all terrain sandals for river crossings, so you do not have to walk in your boots filled with water after crossings, and garters.

I would always take two or three thick big rubbish bags with me to protect my stuff from rain and water, and you can also pull them over yourself.

And if you are lucky you do not any of this all as you might have great weather ;-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Couplesynergy's Profile Photo

by Couplesynergy Online Now Jul 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I am not sure whether you are doing it the Chardonay way and staying in the chalets or a freedom hike where you take everything yourself and stay in the huts. We did it a couple of years ago and went with a group from a rotary club who organized everything including the food which was great. The weather is the key factor here. We had perfect weather just about every day and got great views from the top but the people the day before had to wade across a stream up to their waists (so sandles are not going to help), then they had to crawl across the summit on hands and knees because of the wind. The idea is to go as light as possible. Two t shirts, two pairs of shorts, tracksuit pants for evening, fleece top, good quality hiking socks each day, waterproof jacket and long pants, waterproof bags for your pack. Make sure that you take the detour to see the falls on the third day because it is worth it. Take something in case of chaffing and have very good quality boots. We took wetshoes for the evenings because they were light and comfortable and easier to slip on than runners. We also wore "skins" as our underwear because we found in training that it helped stop chaffing. Make sure that you take a camera because it is absolutely beautiful and we can recommend the overnight cruise on Milford Sound at the end of the trek. Those hot showers on the boat were fantastic. Have a great time.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

LOL

I did not recommend the sandals because I thought you would only get your feet wet. I also know that you can get waist-deep into the water. I recommend to change into sandals before such "swim crossings" to avoid filling up your boots with water.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines