Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

Doubtful Sound Day vs. Overnight trips

by swdke Online Now Apr 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM

I am interested in the Doubtful Sound Day and/or Overnight trip with real journeys. www.realjourneys.co.nz Although I might prefer an overnight cruise, in the interest of saving money, maybe I should just consider the day trip. Can anyone tell me about the Day vs. Overnight? What more does the Overnight cover, or what would I miss by just doing the Day trip?

Yes, I also plan to do the Milford day cruise. Is it a good idea to do both Milford and Doubtful sounds?

Thanks for any advice and information you can share.

Steve

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Doubtful Sound Day vs. Overnight trips

by dan84 Online Now Apr 16, 2007 at 4:43 PM

I did the Doubtful Sound day trip, it was nice. For me a day trip was enough. You get the feel after a few hours, if you have the money then go for both. Don't miss the Manapouri Power Station package, its a good stop off.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Doubtful Sound Day vs. Overnight trips

by vtveen Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 12:58 AM

bookmark (for our next NZ visit)

• northeast80's Profile Photo

Re: Doubtful Sound Day vs. Overnight trips

by northeast80 Online Now Apr 18, 2007 at 4:06 AM

The way I see it is that you're only there once, go for it!
    I only did Milford Sound and spent two nights there in the hostel and it was gorgeous.
    I think Doubtful Sound is quieter so if you were doing it any way round I'd go for Milford then Doubtful, you could feel let down a bit after the relative tranquility of Doubtful then get to busy Milford.
    You'll have a great time what ever you do, just don't forget the insect repellant!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines