Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location
rrrichard's Profile Photo

Tramping/Hiking the Milford Track in August?

by rrrichard Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Hi,

I really want to go to New Zealand soon and tramp the Milford Track. Would it be crazy or not as fun to tramp the Milford Track in August? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Josilver's Profile Photo

Re: Tramping/Hiking the Milford Track in August?

by Josilver Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Hi, I am not sure how feasable this would be. I know that you must book to walk independantly between october and april, outside those months huts are not serviced and you can only tramp with special permission from DOC. One of the reasons the track may be closed is due to the risk of avalanches at the end of the snow season. Have a look at the DOC web site for more info

doc.govt.nz/templates/tracka...

Hope this helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Tramping/Hiking the Milford Track in August?

by kiwi Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Yep winter walking is available. However you must be prepared for the worst and take top quality gear. Some of the bridges are removed over winter months, so river crossings will be wet, and the huts are pretty much stripped of even the gas cookers. So you need to pack in all your gear.
    So if you are not prepared for a wet, cold and icy blizzard, then don't go.
    You can read more here, in addition to the url Jo has given you.
    doc.govt.nz/templates/page.a...

I just walked some tracks in Fiordland and got snowed on in March, so you can expect anything but hot temps in August!

• Re: Tramping/Hiking the Milford Track in August?

by jemslie Online Now Mar 27, 2007 at 2:48 AM

Nothing's for sure, but I would suggest you wait until the season or you probably will regret doing it in August. I'm not saying something bad will happen, just that you will freeze your ass off and there is only about 8hrs sunlight a day, river crossings etc. Wait until the season and enjoy it the way you want to.....unless you're a crazy man!!!
    Otherwise you wont even see the wonderful views as it tends to be very cloudy and rainy on the West Coast in Winter

• Re: Tramping/Hiking the Milford Track in August?

by vera47 Online Now Apr 2, 2007 at 10:08 PM

I would guess, that it would not be too pleasant to walk the Milford track at that time of year.
    Why don't you try some tracks more to the north? Like the Heaphy, Wangapeka or even better, the coastal track of Abel Tasman National Park. Walking those in August....which we have done, is not too bad at that time of year, but still be prepared for sudden snowfall or heavy rain on the passes. That won't last long, but you may still be stranded in a hut for a day....as we also experienced.
    It can be a very pleasant time of the year to go there, as you don't share the track with many others then. Also, fewer sandflies, and no mosquitoes, which you can get in summer on the Heaphy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines