Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location
pebs's Profile Photo

Necc to Top up for Deep Underwater Observatory?

by pebs Online Now Jan 7, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Some cruises offer the option to top up for Deep Underwater Observatory - is that necc? Is the underwater view great (eg great barrier reef)? I'm under the impression the great view is above water?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Necc to Top up for Deep Underwater Observatory?

by gussiness Online Now Jan 10, 2007 at 8:16 AM

Hi, I think there is a 'black reef' or something unusual like that to see.PROBABLY VERY INTERESTING TO SOME GEOLOGIST TYPES.
    The weather there is only clear for sight-seeing one in every three days so a boat trip can be a big let-down if you are only in M.S for,say,one day. It's best to stay over if you can and give yourself a better chance.Take a book 'cos the campsite is good and so is the bar/cafe but it is a loooooong way from anywhere else especially if it's foggy and raining.

Have a great trip in a beautiful country!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Necc to Top up for Deep Underwater Observatory?

by kiwi Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 1:02 AM

What you view is Black coral. This is a very unique opportunity because normally this and other items can only be seen at great depths, not normally accessible to tourists. However the dense layer of fresh water sitting on top of the salt water, creates a false image of depth to the inhabitants. The fresh water filters out the light to do this. I found the underwater observatory very very interesting. It's well presented and something you cannot do anywhere else. Your call :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines