Milford Sound Travel Answers

change location
NathanW's Profile Photo

Kayak equipment rental only

by NathanW Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Hi everyone, I am a fairly seasoned kayaker and outdoorsman from Canada and am trying to organize my own kayak experience in Milford sound this March/April. I have looked at a lot of the guided tour offerings for the area but would really prefer to just rent my own equipment as I expect it should be a lot cheaper and provide more freedom to explore as well. Does anyone know of anywhere in the sound its self that will rent equipment only or anyone in Te Anau that will do this?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Re: Kayak equipment rental only

by kiwi Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You probably won't find kayak only rental in Te Anau, and certainly not in Milford. Milford Sound has only a few services, it can barely be called a town even.
    If you have a vehicle, you will most likely have to rent a kayak in Dunedin and drive to Milford if you want to be independant.
    Why don't you just join a guided kayak, as local knowledge is essential in this part of the planet.
    Ordinarily you will be ok, but for when the weather quicky turns ugly, you need a guide.
    I do appreciate that being an experienced kayaker from Canada probably means you are very experienced, but it'll be interesting if anyone can answer your question with what you want.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines