Milan Travel Answers

change location
Mozumbus's Profile Photo

Visiting Milan-Venice-Florence-Pisa-Rome through Regional Trains; Tips for Budget Travel

by Mozumbus Online Now Apr 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM

We are a group of 4-6 (age 26-29), planning to visit Italy and onwards (back-packing) in June, 2009. We would like to travel and visit as many places as possible and that too with minimum amount of time and money. I have made the following tentative itinerary with 2nd class fares (in Euros) on Regional Trains:

Points; Date; Fares; Duration
Milan-Venice; 9-Jun-09; 14.50; 07:25-10:49
Venice-Bologna; 9-Jun-09; 8.90; 19:57-22:04
Bologna-Florence; 10-Jun-09; 5.40; 06:45-08:21
Florence-Pisa; 10-Jun-09; 5.60; 11:57-13:06
Pisa-Rome; 10-Jun-09; 17.65; 17:45-21:50

Question # 1: Kindly comment on the feasibility of this itinerary? Is it too ambitious?

Question # 2: Kindly let me know if there are any one-way combined tickets available from Milan to Rome (via Florence and Pisa) effective for two consecutive days that cost less than 52.05 Euros (combined fare of the above itinerary)? I am asking this question after searching on Eurail and trenitalia.

Question # 3: What is the general procedure of a) purchasing and validating tickets, and b) boarding on Regional Trains? I have not been to Europe before but have traveled frequently on (non-speed) trains.

Question # 4: Can travel agents help us in getting any discounts or offers?

Question # 5: Can we stay at Bologna Railway Station for the whole night (Rest Rooms, other options)?

Question # 6: Any other useful tip regarding site seeing, cheap accommodation (including hostels), etc?

(From Rome we will travel to Bari to catch superfast ferry to reach to Greece. From Athens we will take flight to Barcelona to travel onwards.)

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines