Milan Travel Answers

change location

Help with Milan visit

by 321north Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Hello,

There is a group of us visiting Milan in May coming from Cinque Terra. We have a couple days there then off to the Linate Airport. Can anyone reccommend a hotel location or hotel that will allow us easy access and put us in close vicinity to the sights. Also, any suggestions / tips or must see's would be great?

Yhanks

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Help with Milan visit

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Hi - we stayed here on our last visit and would do so again:

"Best Western near Centrale" - Madison Tip by goodfish

It was walking distance from Milano Centrale and while a bit of a hike from some of the more visited attractions, you can always hop public transit for quick access to most sights around the city.

Must sees? Depends on your interests but the Duomo is, of, course top of the list, and we visited a few very old and important churches that I wouldn't have missed (San Lorenzo and Sant'Ambrogio.) Also da Vinci's "Last Supper" at Santa Maria Delle Grazie (tickets must be ordered in advance), Milan's famous La Scala Opera House, Pinacoteca di Brera art museum, Castello Sforzesco....

I might suggest browsing our Milan Travel Guide for some good ideas that fit with the sorts of things you like to see/do while on holiday?

Milan Travel Guide

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Help with Milan visit

by LowCostatAllCosts Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Hi there. As far as locations go, it can be sketchy around Milano Centrale. Luckily, there are two metro lines that run through there. As a result, I would suggest staying a few stops away, closer to the Duomo (which is definitely a must-see, as it Galleria Vittorio Emanuele right next door). Maybe try Porta Genova (prontohotel.com/ita/milan/po... or Porta Romana (prontohotel.com/ita/milan/po.... I stayed in the latter and found it convenient both to the station and to the main sights.

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

As a solo middle-aged female I found the area around M Centrale to be no more 'sketchy' than the area around any large European railway station. Normal (European) city common sense is all that is required, imo.

I stayed at the Hotel Club which I found to be both pleasant and very convenient not only for exploring Milan but also for daytrips to e.g. Como from M Centrale. My review here:

"Very convenient, perfectly pleasant" - Club Hotel Tip by leics

I'd suggest you use the reliable www.booking.com or www.venere.com to explore options. Both sites are used by many VT-ers and both have extensive listings in Milan.

As for must-sees, apart from the obvious, I'd suggest the ancient churches that Goodfish mentioned, plus the rather wonderful San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore:

"San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore" - Chiese - Churches Tip by leics

the Archaeological Museum:

"Museo Archeologico" - Milan Things to Do Tip by leics

and a wander round the Navigli district:

"Wander the Navigli....." - Navigli Tip by leics

If you want to see Da Vinci's 'Last Supper' you really must orders tickets online way in advance: the chances of getting a ticket on the day are miniscule. Daily visitor numbers are very limited and tickets often bought up by tour groups. Here's the ticketing site linked from the official site:

vivaticket.it/?op=cenacoloVi...

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

by MikeBird Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Hi,
    I've recently returned from one and half days in Milan sightseeing. Most of the sights mentioned in the postings above are within relatively short walking distances - well let's say less than 1 mile radius out from the Plaza de Duomo. I managed to go to most of the places mentioned above including a few more. I'm not at all interested in shopping but the main quarter with all of the famous brand name shops is within half a mile of Duomo. If you can face the steps - all 250 of them ( there is believe it or not a lift as well) the roof terraces on the Duomo are well worth a visit.
    Regarding hotels I stayed at the Hotel Cervo which was perfectly adequate and probably about averagely priced. Visit: http://www.hotelcervomilan.com/ It's about 15minutes walk from the Central station as long as you don't get lost ( which I did).
    You can get the airport coach from the central station to Linate. It costs 5Euros and takes about 25 minutes.
    All in all Milan is a compact city for the tourist. I would say that the one and half days I spent there was plenty long enough but day trips to Como or Bergamo would possibly have made it all a bit more varied.
    Enjoy your visit.
    Best wishes,
    Mike

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If your flight is delayed and you cannot get transport, consider staying at Sheraton Malpensa- its right in airport building. Bear in mind that there are cheaper rooms available

Sheraton Malpensa: "Handy for a very early flight" - Milan Hotel Tip by lynnehamman

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I'd consider a side trip to Bergamo - 45 minutes by train from Milan- well worth the trip!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Aug 2012 stayed 5 nights at Starhotels Echo located a few hundred metres from Centraal Station. Modern rooms recently renovated, good breakfast and very close to national and inter Italy rail. Local trams 3 minutes walk.

We took train to Bergamo , another day to Lake Como, both approx 1 hour.

We also travelled Venice to Milan by train around 20 Euro pp and from memory a little over 2 hours.

Ourside Milan Central Station are the airport coaches which take you in comfort with luggage underneath coach to the international airport for Euro 10 pp

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 5:23 AM

As long as you are close to Metro station or tram line, you can reach anywhere in Milano. You can check my Milano page for some useful tips.
    "2 years in Milan" - Milan by muratkorman

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM

if you are looking for budget hotel I have used a couple of one that where not too expensive and walking distance from a Metro station so very convenient. you can find them in my Milano page here "Milano, a pleasant surprise" - Milan by oriettaIT

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines