Milan Travel Answers

change location
chocabloczilla's Profile Photo

Any help with my itinerary please?

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Hi everyone,

We booked a weekend to Milan me and my two other girlfriends. We fly in to Malpensa airport on Saturday 9th march about 9am and leave Monday afternoon at 4.30pm the day before my birthday I will be 31.

I have a few questions after my research hope you can help as we are am looking for culture and a good nightlife whilst keeping costs low.

Any reccommendations for a good reasonably priced club, all music for saturday night.

suggestions for bars where we can get good apertifo? I have found pandeus am told it was 8 euros a few years back with a good spread.

Is it worth buying the milano card or just buying a two day pass. Think from reviews I will just get the 48 hour pass

Itinerary

Fly in early sat 9th march get the train to como and the funicular train up the mountains to have lunch check it out for a few hours. Silk factory, lighthouse lunch and a boat ride on thd lake. Have figured out the costing for the malpensa express on their site, but bo clue about saronno to como de largo. Have just found out there is a Saturday market, will we fit all this in with a trip up to brunate in the funicular and be back by 6pm to be able to grab an apertifo? Will Check into our hotel best western goldenmile when we get back from como then out for apertifo and a club. We will be venturing into navigili for a night or few hours the next day to check it out as it sounds like a cool area.

sunday see the duomo, Leo museum, scala possible in a day or cut one out (possibly the museum as its not in English). any suggestions for areas to get some bargain threads or gifts and Somewhere unique and not pricey for dinner?

Monday via San Marco market to grab some more bargains and a last stroll around as we will have to leave by 1.30. At least to get our 4.30 flight.

Quote & Answer
22 Answers
  • chocabloczilla's Profile Photo

Re: Any help with my itinerary please?

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM

TreatMeWithRespect wrote:Is Your Passports Up to date? Are You Looking To See Many Historical Famous Landmarks? Are You Planning On Taking A Camera? Have You Strategically PlannedTo Use Every Moment To Your Advantage?

Hi respect ;) yes passports all good.. Hopefully duomo via the steps, la scala and Leo museum, como funincular train and that's it.

Camera via my I phone thanks ;)

And have tried to squeeze everything I possibly can in two days should be doable with a little rest in between

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Yes, it is tough to find the fare for the Malpensa-Saronno-Como trip. In fact, I can't find it, although I see that Trenitalia charges 14.55 euro for a Malpensa-Milano Porto Garibaldi-Como route, so that should give you a ballpark number.

I do wonder, though, what sort of luggage are you bringing? You're planning to arrive at Malpensa, go straight to Como, then go up a funicular to go have lunch, while dragging your wheelies around? I am sure you won't have a lot of luggage, but even a little might be a hassle...

Bill

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Ahh thanks for the reply Bill!!

I did find the route but no pricing, I have read that it cost €8 and I know from Malpensa to Saranno is €6 so that ball park amount may be right. Ahh I do see your point and was thinking about that today, but we will waste up to 2 hours travelling to our hotel just to dump our bags. The only other option may be using luggage storage at the airport will have to look into cost as we will only have handluggae as you say but you may have a point. Only problem with that is that instead of going direct from Sarrono to Milan central( which I'm sure isn't a valid route on the express website) we will have to go from Sarrono back to the airport then get the express to Milan central. So it wouldn't be a problem if this was the only route we had to take then this would be an option? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again Bill

Marie

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM

For aperitivo I was quite impressed by Caffe Sforzesco, at the start of via Dante, coming from the Cordinio Metro. 10 Euros for a large beer, crisps, olives, a couple of crostini, salami, cheese, a sliver of pizza and a prosciutto-wrapped grissini stick. Here's my review: Caffe' Sforzesco: "Aperitivo con Tagliere :-)" - Caffe' Sforzesco Tip by johngayton

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM

chocabloczilla wrote:

Ahh thanks for the reply Bill!!

I did find the route but no pricing, I have read that it cost €8 and I know from Malpensa to Saranno is €6 so that ball park amount may be right. Ahh I do see your point and was thinking about that today, but we will waste up to 2 hours travelling to our hotel just to dump our bags. The only other option may be using luggage storage at the airport will have to look into cost as we will only have handluggae as you say but you may have a point. Only problem with that is that instead of going direct from Sarrono to Milan central( which I'm sure isn't a valid route on the express website) we will have to go from Sarrono back to the airport then get the express to Milan central. So it wouldn't be a problem if this was the only route we had to take then this would be an option? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again Bill

Marie

No, I see your problem. Leaving the bags at the airport is silly, as you would waste a lot of time going back to Malpensa to get them (unless you stayed at the airport which I don't recommend). Alternatively, you could go to Milan Centrale and drop your bags there at the Deposito Bagagli (Left Luggage), but, again, this just seems like too much time given your short schedule.

No, I think taking your luggage is the best way, awkward though it is.

Oh, note that if your hotel is near Milano Centrale, that you don't have to go back to Saronno first...you can go to the FS station in Como ("Como San Giovanni") and go to Centrale a different way.. That is, there are 4 rail stations in Como: Como Nord Lago (closest to the lake and the ferry), Como Nord Borghi, Como Nord Camerlata, and Como S. Giovanni. The three stations with "Nord" are served by Le Nord, a private rail company that is now in cahoots ;-) with Trenitalia, the national railroad. The fourth station is already a Trenitalia ("FS") station. Only the Le Nord system goes to Saronno...Trenitalia would take another route to Milano Centrale.

Hmpf, with the joint work with Le Nord, they've changed up the schedule a lot...now there are very few direct trains from Como (S. Giovanni) to Milano Centrale - most change at Milano Porto Garibaldi...there's a direct train only every couple of hours or so...taking only 33 minutes instead of an hour and a half...

Bill

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

For info...for anyone else looking, because I assume you already have the link...train time,s details and fares (usually) on

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

As you discovered, Malpensa>Saronno = 6 euro. Saronno> Como Lago = 2.75 euro So I suspect you'll be paying in the region of 8.75 euro if you make that trip.

Como San Giovanni is about 10 minutes' walk from the lakeside, Como (Nord) Lago is (obviously) there, Como (Nord) Borghi and Como (Nord) Camerlata are too far away to bother with.

There are lots of direct trains Saronno>Milan Centrale...but you must put 'Milano Centrale' into the Trenitalia site to find them. Journey time is around 30 mins, fare 2.75 euro.

If you want to see Leonardo da Vinci's 'Last Supper' (which is the reason many people visit Milan) then I do advise you to book your tickets online in advance, and as soon as possible. Numbers are strictly limited each day and the chances of getting in without a reservation are very slim indeed. Official booking site:

vivaticket.it/?op=cenacoloVi...">vivaticket.it/?op=cenacoloVi...

Not sure how many bargains you will find.......

I

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

leics wrote:For info...for anyone else looking, because I assume you already have the link...train time,s details and fares (usually) on trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h... you discovered, Malpensa>Saronno = 6 euro. Saronno> Como Lago = 2.75 euro So I suspect you'll be paying in the region of 8.75 euro if you make that trip.Como San Giovanni is about 10 minutes' walk from the lakeside, Como (Nord) Lago is (obviously) there, Como (Nord) Borghi and Como (Nord) Camerlata are too far away to bother with.There are lots of direct trains Saronno>Milan Centrale...but you must put 'Milano Centrale' into the Trenitalia site to find them. Journey time is around 30 mins, fare 2.75 euro.If you want to see Leonardo da Vinci's 'Last Supper' (which is the reason many people visit Milan) then I do advise you to book your tickets online in advance, and as soon as possible. Numbers are strictly limited each day and the chances of getting in without a reservation are very slim indeed. Official booking site: href="vivaticket.it/?op=cenacoloVi... sure how many bargains you will find.......I

Ahh thanks Bill that is really helpful, no our hotel is near the biscigelle red line so we would waste over an hour just to dump our bags and get there late afternoon instead of lunch time. My bag sits on my shoulder may be less of a pain but we will see. Ahh I have been only looking on the lenord website even in Italian it's clearer ;) thanks for the link to true italics but it is telling me I can't purchase any tickets when making a dummy booking. By the looks of the quote below trenitalia may be cheaper and they do express trains directly into centrale station which is great as lenord do not! Do both trains operate from terminal one as there is a train we were going to try to catch about 50 minutes after we land??

Oh nooooooo more confusing haha sure it will be fine. May have to get a second class ticket from trenitalua from Sardonna to centrale as with lenord we have to go back unnessecarily back to the airport. So maybe need to do all my travel with trenitalia and get involved in the cahoots. Rather than taking one journey with lenord and attempting another with tren? As the journey is messy as it is with the interchanges.. So will be focusing on them and returning from San.giovan back to central station and plan to get the right train and not hang about for hours. That's the beauty of lenord more frequent trains but more changeovers ;/ aghhhh

Thanks so much for all your help so far Bill it wouldn't let me post underneath grrr

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Hmm just looked again and we can possibly go up to como with no bags on Sunday? But we will miss the market not our main reason for going there but a bonus. Looks like there is less hassle with the trains on Trenit. Can I check if milano nord cadorna is actually chador a station on the green line? If not we can travel into centrale Sunday morning to get the train from there.. It's just that cadorna is closer to us. If not we will get the map express to centrale from the airport and get our como tickets for the next day. I got stuck on como as we were originally flying into bergamo/orio and it was closer as we were furthest away from Milan. But this looks like a more convenient option with less interchange so great job for pointing that out. We can now relax for a bit and do our sightseeing on Saturday instead ;)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Thanks Leics ;)

Came up with some tickets but can't do anymore than 7 day advance bookings for costing which is a pain, but looks like a good option thanks for the link I navigated that one in Italian which may help with my purchases ;) couldn't find an English button two very competitive railways haha ;)

Ahh will check that out thanks sounds like exactly the spread we need but my other friend is Muslim so will go easy on the salami ;) going to read your review now. No unfortunately I will not be seeing the last supper looks like tickets sell out quickly and I think the entrance fee for a 20 minute glance is extortionate. I will save that for roman ruins and maybe a museum and the doom. Hopefully on return travels I will get a peek

Thanks so much ;)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

1. john sorry the apertifo comments were aimed at you too late need sleep thanks so much ;)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Sorry ignore my question found the right station milano cadorna ;)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Agghh but cadorno to como n largo has interchanges and nord cadorno is direct where is nord cadorno please??? Obvs nowhere near me I bet hhaa

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Milan Nord Cadorna is a few Metro stops from Milan Centrale...an easy journey on one line. Map and info in English here:

atm-mi.it/en/ViaggiaConNoi/P...

and you can see that Cadorna is a station on the green line.

I think what you are calling 'Nord Cadorno' is Milan Nord Cadorna. There are direct trains from and to Como (Nord) Lago and Milan Nord Cadorna. I'm not sure where you are seeing changes? Journey time is 1h 3m and one-way fare is 4.55 euro.

Trenitalia and Le Nord are not really in competition, as such. If they were, you would not be finding Le Nord timetables on the Trenitalia website. It's best to think of them simply as two separate companies running different routes in the area. Tickets aren't interchangeable (as far as I know) but that's not a problem: a return ticket is not cheaper than two one-way tickets and see below for advance online ticketing.

Only Trenitalia trains use Como SG>Milan Centrale because those stations are Trenitalia stations. Le Nord uses Milan Cadorna and the other 3 in Como.

You absolutely don't need to buy tickets in advance online for this journey. Just buy them at the station when you arrive. There won't be a problem. Malpensa airport station have staff who speak good English (for obvious reasons) and there are also ticket machines although I didn't bother to use those when I flew in. Trenitalia ticket machines are exceptionally easy to use, with English language options (pay with cash, change given, or with cards with chip & PIN) ...can't recall Le Nord machines, to be honest, but wouldn't be surprised if they too have English language options in their more touristy locations. And staff are well-used to visitors with no Italian......

1 member found this helpful

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Great thanks so much Leics! Sorry for the further question but still slightly confused. I can only see cadorna fn station on the green line and not Milano nord cadorna.. Think you made it clear they are two seperate stations or am I getting confused. Is the fn on cadorna meaning something north, as when I use trenitalias site it does not give me the option from milano cadorna only milano north cadorna. You also mentioned that only lenord trains travel from there so am a bit confused?? I basically just want to get my ticket from the closest station to our hotel with a direct train to como and the option is shows me is from cardorna north to como. If we still decide to travel on the Saturday we will go directly from the airport and try to find a trenitalia train as I have only be using lenord timetables. So sorry if I'm confusing you I think I'm confusing myself. It's just that you said milano north cadorna is a few stop from centrale leading me to think that is the right station as I see no other cadorna station haha ;) so sorry

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Ahh got its it the can't fit the whole word on there haha so it's cadorna feira nord (Fn) milano sorry to confuse you I've got it now just thought I was blind as some main stations clearly say nord but this is abbreviated

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:56 AM

chocabloczilla wrote:

Great thanks so much Leics! Sorry for the further question but still slightly confused. I can only see cadorna fn station on the green line and not Milano nord cadorna.. Think you made it clear they are two seperate stations or am I getting confused. Is the fn on cadorna meaning something north, as when I use trenitalias site it does not give me the option from milano cadorna only milano north cadorna. You also mentioned that only lenord trains travel from there so am a bit confused?? I basically just want to get my ticket from the closest station to our hotel with a direct train to como and the option is shows me is from cardorna north to como. If we still decide to travel on the Saturday we will go directly from the airport and try to find a trenitalia train as I have only be using lenord timetables. So sorry if I'm confusing you I think I'm confusing myself. It's just that you said milano north cadorna is a few stop from centrale leading me to think that is the right station as I see no other cadorna station haha ;) so sorry

"cadorna fn" = "cadorna nord" = "milano nord cadorna"...and any other variation

The "nord" here stands for "LeNord", the private rail company. The "fn" stands for "Ferrovie Nord" (i.e., LeNord), just as "fs" stands for "Ferrovie dello Stato" (State railways, or Trenitalia).

The differences in the names that you see for Cadorno are all no difference. The Trenitalia website wants Milano Nord Cadorno just to show you that the Cadorna station is operated by LeNord, not Trenitalia...in exactly the same way that you have to say "Como Nord Lago" for the LeNord station next to the lake in Como. However, some websites (Metro system, rail, mapping) identify the stations with different naming formats, and you just have to roll with it...

I am a bit confused on what you're saying. If your hotel is near Cadorna station, then I believe that all the trains from Cadorna to Malpensa will be LeNord trains, not Trenitalia...even though these trains (which leave Cadorna at 28 and 58 minutes after the hour) do show up on the Trenitalia site (thanks to their "cahootness" ;-) ).

But really, you shouldn't care...these trains are all "regional" class trains; that is, there are no reservations...you go to the station, buy a ticket, validate it, and get on the next train. The station will obviously sell you the tickets that you need...so, don't woryy ;-)

Bill

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Yes sorry bill both companies show other trains operating, I just wanted to make sure I get a direct train and it looks like cadorna is the best for my needs thanks

Was a little confusing as you say the station goes by many names :) I will roll with it!! And will be happy with a ticket in my hand arriving at my destination ;)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Yes sorry bill both companies show other trains operating, I just wanted to make sure I get a direct train and it looks like cadorna is the best for my needs thanks

Was a little confusing as you say the station goes by many names :) I will roll with it!! And will be happy with a ticket in my hand arriving at my destination ;)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Don't worry about which train company. It's pretty much irrelevant in Italy. Just get the train from whichever A suits you best to the B you want to go to. :-)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

thanks again all for your help been also told to prepare for rain but looking forward to it ;) and thanks Leics was just concerned as I don't want to change trains if I can get a direct train.. Should all work out ;)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Enjoy your trip! :-)

by chocabloczilla Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Thanks leics ;)