Milan Travel Answers

change location
DennyR's Profile Photo

Best way to Milan from airport late at night

by DennyR Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM

We arrive Milan airport at 9.30pm, too late to catch the airport bus to the city. What are are best options that time of night? Taxi, private Limo? Stay overnight at airport hotel?

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Re: Best way to Milan from airport late at night

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Which Milano airport are you landing at?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xaver's Profile Photo

Re: Best way to Milan from airport late at night

by xaver Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM

If you mean Malpensa airport there is a train at 10.45 pm which I am not sure you'll be able to catch and some shuttle busses also later. Try this website malpensashuttle.it/web2011/e... If you mean Linate airport, then it's much closer to the city centre and there are busses every 10 minutes untill half past midnight.

2 members found this helpful

• u_fricaturu's Profile Photo

by u_fricaturu Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I think it won't be too late to get a shuttle but to the center.There are buses until midnight. check this website: malpensashuttle.it/web2011/e...

3 members found this helpful

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Right: if coming from Malpensa, it looks like the shuttles run late: you shouldn't have a problem. We took one of those to the airport early in the morning for our flight out last June and they're nice buses. Tickets are very reasonable for as far out of Milan as that airport is: trip took about an hour.

1 member found this helpful

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM

What website were you looking at that made you think that a 9:30 p.m. arrival was too late for the bus to the city?

Bill

• domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Personally, I would just grab a taxi. I presume you are staying in the city centre - if you take a bus or train you will still need to find your hotel, which will probably entail taking a taxi anyway. I cannot think you will want to drag your luggage around Milan's streets looking for the hotel. No doubt you will have luggage, and it;'s going to be dark.

• DennyR's Profile Photo

by DennyR Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Thanks everyone, meant to put Malpensa airport on post. Looks like we have a few options. Appreciate your help, Denny

• DennyR's Profile Photo

by DennyR Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Have to admit Bill, I was told this but didn't check for myself. Will know better next time!

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM

domenicococozza wrote: Personally, I would just grab a taxi. I presume you are staying in the city centre - if you take a bus or train you will still need to find your hotel, which will probably entail taking a taxi anyway. I cannot think you will want to drag your luggage around Milan's streets looking for the hotel. No doubt you will have luggage, and it;'s going to be dark.
     The problem, Dom, is that the taxi from Malpensa is something like 70 euro...a lot on anyone's budget(!). The bus plus the taxi from Centrale, would certainly make a big difference in the fare...unless I was with the Official Spousal Unit, in which case all calculations are different ;-)

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Denny, I will also note the rail solutions. Milano Centrale (the main train station) is on the east side of the city center. Milano Cadorna station is on the northwest side of the city center. Both are well-connected (as I recall) to the Metro system (and, of course, both will have taxi queues).

The last direct train to Milano Centrale from the airport leaves at 22:43 - a tight fit, but you might make it.

But the service is more frequent to Cadorna - the train runs from the airport about every 30 minutes up until midnight (and one or two trains after that).

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM

DennyR wrote: Have to admit Bill, I was told this but didn't check for myself. Will know better next time!
    Actually, Denny, this would have been a reasonable question if you had landed at Orio al Serio in Bergamo, the "Milan" airport for the discount air carriers. Bergamo is even farther away from Milan than Malpensa, and transport late in the evening becomes an issue. But Malpensa is a super major international airport, and runs well late into the evening, as you can see from the bus and rail links...so I am thinking that the person that told you this was thinking of Bergamo instead...

Bill

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

We used the Malpensa Express train (which runs from Malpensa Airport) to Milan Centrale. It takes about 35mins, but is very convenient, cheap and comfortable. There is a special place for your luggage, and its air-con. Buy tickets at Malpensa Express station (from memory I think it was 7 euros one way) On our way home to Sydney we had a very early flight from Malpensa, so we opted to stay at the Sheraton Hotel at the airport. It was excellent. That might also be an option for you on arrival, especially if you are tired.

3 members found this helpful

• Re: Best way to Milan from airport late at night

by nanet Online Now Jan 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Hey there, I have a quite similar problem :) I am landing at Orio al Serio airport at 23.30 and last shuttle leaves at 00.30. Well, that means arriving at Centrale at around 01.30. Are there any night buses after this hour? How can i get to my hostel? Is it safer to take taxi? If yes, does anybody how much it would be? Thanks.

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM

1. The website in English for Milan's public transit system is http://www.atm.it/en/Pages/default.aspx

2. In major Italian cities, around midnight, the subways (if any) stop running, and the buses and trams go to night schedules (actually, many buses stop running altogether).

3. Night schedules tend to be once an hour until 5:00 a.m or so.

4. I have no idea where your hostel is, so how could I tell you how to get there and how much it will cost?

5. There will be taxis at the station so long as trains and buses are running. Since trying to take public transportation could take you another hour or two (remember the wait for the next bus) to get where you're going, a taxi seems like a prudent solution, whatever the cost.

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines