change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• sylv2's Profile Photo

Ferries Stockholm to Helsinki.

Helsinki Yesterday

We are an active couple in our fifties so we like the shows and some dancing but wouldn't describe ourselves as 'party people'. We would like a niceish cabin without going over the top and a nice dinner setting with good food (obviously!) We have no objection to children but would probably like to dine in a more adult setting.

I have done so much research on the two ferries that do this overnight trip. I think I'm over doing it. In the end i like the Silja Symphony boat better with its promenade but I like the dinner option better on the Viking cruise! :/
      What I like about the dinner option on Viking is the Food Garden option with a window view. This looks a bit more up market with round tables and table cloths. Also I like the idea of buffet for starters and dessert and ala carte for mains. The fact drinks are not included is fine. We are not big drinkers so are happy to purchase a couple of wines.

The cabin selections on the Viking are more limited on the upper end. We don't want a suite but like a deluxe type room with sea view. On the Viking the options are the suite which is very expensive and next is the LXB Seaside Premium 12 square metres. Which would be ok.
      On the Silja the Deluxe seaside is 14sq and looks a bit more roomy and better appointed. There are limited photos.
      Don't even get me started on what dining time to choose! ha ha Some say early and be on deck for sunset and that best island views are 3 hours into cruise. I thought exiting the harbour would be good to see too. A 5 o'clock seating for dinner is as soon as you arrive and seems too rushed for us.
      I am presuming you can't request a room mid ship (in case of bad weather as I'm not a great sailor) or any room for that matter. Seems like that is pot luck. Unlike cruise ships where they charge more for same cabins midship and on preferred quiet floors.
      So any help/advice/opinion is very much welcomed.
      Sylv

more
    • rovaniemi airport

Rovaniemi Jan 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM

How long does it take to clear customs at the airport.

more
    • Transportation from Rovaniemi->Pello->Kiruna

Rovaniemi Jan 14, 2016 at 9:21 AM

I want to travel from Rovaniemi to Kiruna on 16 or 17/3/2016 (Sat or Sun).
      But I can't find there is any suitable bus on Sat or Sun on internet.
      Can anyone help?

more
    • time to get through customs at rovaniemi aiport

Rovaniemi Jan 17, 2016 at 2:01 PM

I am arriving at rovaniemi airport at 16:20. I want to catch the ski bus to Luosto.I only have 20mins. to get through customs. WillI have enough time to do this.

more
    • coanne's Profile Photo

Lapland trip (end Oct - early Nov 2016)

Rovaniemi Jan 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Hi VT-ers! We are planning a trip to catch the Northern Lights and hopefully some activities like ice fishing, snowmobil, reindeer farm visit and husky rides around Oct-Nov. And then we realise it may be too early to be snowing at this period. Unfortunately this seems to be the only time we can visit.

We still wanna visit Santa Claus Village... Is that different from Santa's Park? Secondly would Rovaniemi be the right hub for us to do all these activities at this time? Or should we travel further north? If so, what is the best way to move from town to town?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

more
    • CameronD's Profile Photo

What to Pack for a trip to Tampere,Finland

Finland Jan 22, 2016 at 8:46 PM

What do i need to pack to survive the weather in Tampere, Finland?

more
    • sylv2's Profile Photo

A few hours in Helsinki

Helsinki Yesterday

We will be arriving in Helsinki at the Tallink Ferry terminal on Sunday 28th September. We will be departing by train to St Petersburg at 3pm. I have researched and we can get to the central train station quite easily by tram 2 or by taxi. We will have our medium sized luggage. We would like to use the 4 hours or so that we have to at least see a little of Helsinki. I have researched tours and really only come up with Hop on Hop off bus which doesn't really suit our needs with our time constraints.
      Any suggestions on how we can see a bit of Helsinki? I need insider help !
      Thanks Sylv

more
    • Natalya2006's Profile Photo

Winter activities in Mikkeli

by Natalya2006 Online Now Nov 15, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Where can we try winter activities near Mikkeli:
      1. Rent skis, sledges
      2. Try hasky-safary (for 1-2 hours, short trip)
      3. Moto-safary (short trip)
      4. Other suggestions

Thanks in advance for the reply.

3 Answers Nov 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    • about mikkeli

by dodowjj Online Now Jun 4, 2004 at 6:21 AM

I'll be studying IT at Mikkeli Polytechnic for one year from this summer. I wonder more information about the town and the school. It is better to send me some pictures.

7 Answers May 5, 2008 at 4:06 AM
    • Gemi_7's Profile Photo

Is Mikkeli a good place for summer holidays?

by Gemi_7 Online Now Mar 14, 2004 at 12:07 AM

Hi, my name is Alya. I'm from Saint-Petersburg. I'm going to Mikkeli(Finland) for studying in its uni in summer. It's a summer programme. I'm interested if it's nice place... What else can i do there apart from studying? THank you Alya.

6 Answers Apr 22, 2004 at 1:54 AM