Middenbeemster Travel Answers

change location

transportation

by eileenmary Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM

How would I get from the international airport Amsterdam to middenbeemster by public transportation? Would it be a combination of bus and train?

Also how can I find out the bus routes to other towns? we are seriously thinking of renting a self-catering place for our family and exploring from there. We would like not to have a car.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: transportation

by ATLC Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM

First of all you can find all routes by any public transportation via:

http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/

You take a train from Schiphol (the airport) to Purmerend (about 30 mins).
    Then you take bus Arriva 416, direction De Rijp and you get out at 'De Buurt', Middenbeemster which takes about 20 minutes.

By all means, take a bus to De Rijp which is a lovely little village with lots of history:
    "Of whales, Mennonites and literature" - De Rijp by ATLC

and of course you'll have found Ingrid's page on Middenbeemster:
    members.virtualtourist.com/m...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM

My advice would be to explore on bike. Your accommodation will sure know where to best rent bikes (usually about 8 euro per day or about 30 euro per week or so).
    The region is excellent for cycling, there will be routes available and since there are often separate bike lanes everywhere it is quite safe. I have fond memories of my cycling holiday in that region.

You may find this website useful:
    landvanleeghwater.nl/welcome... (touristic information).
    Specifically farms where they grow fruits, make cheese, wooden shoes and lots of other ecological and old trade things:

landvanleeghwater.nl/v_behee...

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I stayed in Middenbeemster in June 2009 but with friends with a car but did see a number of buses - they seem to run on an hourly basis and so you need to plan carefully. Back in the 70s when I stayed with the same friends and they did not have a car we used the buses for a week and it was possible but I seem to remember some journeys, especially Amsterdam were fairly long.
    It is a beautiful area but I would be tempted to stay in de Rijp which has a reasonable bus service and also a good choice of shops and eating places.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Middenbeemster