Middelburg Travel Answers

change location

WW2 Anniversary Trip

by LeeMiles Online Now Sep 1, 2009 at 5:26 AM

On November the 1st it will be the 65th annivesary of the Battle of The Walchrans my father (a wartime landingcraft sailor) past away 2 years ago and amoungst his belongings is a NAZI flag he took from a building in Middelburg after the battle. I have spoken with the museum and I wish to give it to them as it is very much part of Middleburg's recent history.
I had thought of flying into Antwerp from London City airport but I am not sure if this is the best route to get to Middleburg from the UK. I would also like to visit Westkapelle to lay a wreath on behalf of my late father to his lost shipmates any advice would be very helpful Thankyou

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: WW2 Anniversary Trip

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Sep 1, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I think this might be the easiest way indeed: flying to Antwerp and continue by train to Middelburg. Westkapelle can be visited from Middelburg by local bus.

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM

You can reach Middelburg by train from Antwerp (and elsewhere). For train times & fares in English:

ns.nl/cs/Satellite/traveller...

As that site is not working for me at the moment, an alternative in English (no fares) is

bahn.de/international/view/e...

From Antwerp Centraal to Middelburg takes 1h 35 m to 2 hours, with fast trains on the hour and slower trains 35 minutes after the hour.

Rotterdam is also a possibility (1h 40m to 2h) or Brussels (2h). Much depends on your budget for airfare, and flight timings. www.skyscanner.net will give you cheapest fares for your dates and route.

Belgian railway times and fares in English here:

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

A further possibility is to take the Eurostar to Brussels (fares can be very cheap if you book well in advance, and it is a pleasant and comfortable journey), and travel onwards from there. You will arrive at more-or-less the same station as you need for the Middelburg train (Brussels Centraal).

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Sep 1, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Bus 53 leaves for Westkappelle from Middelburg station, I believe hourly.

You can find timetables here:

http://www.connexxion.nl/home/14/

In Dutch, but easy to work out. Journey from the station to Middelburg Markt takes around 30 minutes.

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Sep 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM

• Re: WW2 Anniversary Trip

by LeeMiles Online Now Sep 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Thankyou everyone for those very helpfull postings I am very much looking forward to visiting this beautiful area of the Netherlands

again thankyou Lee

• sheilas's Profile Photo

by sheilas Online Now Sep 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Lovely gesture Lee - hope you enjoy the trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines