Michigan Travel Answers

change location

Small Towns - Michigan

by pbdancing Online Now Feb 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Anyone know any interesting small towns in Michigan? Places with a few nice bars and restaurant and traditional buildings etc.

Many thanks,

Pb Dancing

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Small Towns - Michigan

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

There are lots of small towns in Michigan. A couple that come to mind are Holland, Michigan that celebrates their Dutch heritage and the other is Frankenmuth, Michigan that has a Bavarian theme. If you want good old American college town, try Ann Arbor, Michigan. It has lots of lively bars. Type them into Google Maps and do a street view to get an idea. http://maps.google.com/

Much further north is Mackinac Island, Michigan but you have to take a ferry to get there. There are no motorized vehicles allowed on the island but it's beautiful and small. I suspect there's not much night life though because everyone goes home on the ferry at night. The hotel on the island is VERY expensive . . . and very nice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I second ann Arbour, Livonia and Plymouth..

Ann Arbour is university town, but have very nice old neigborhoods close to the town center..Try Main St, W and E Huron St and Liberty..
    very nice small shops and nice little caffes.
    I had lunch at Jollie Pumpkin and brewery on Main St in December.. very nice and there is the cupcake shop "the Cupcakestation" at 1924 Packard St. worth you pop in if you have sweet tooth..

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Feb 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You may wish to do research on brewers check out
    beerme.com/region.php?c=us&s...
    Before US road trip, I'd check towns on the planned route for the unusual at : http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

• KalamazooJohn's Profile Photo

by KalamazooJohn Online Now Feb 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I've lived in Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo, so I can say Kzoo is a pretty nice town and farther from the urban centers than A2. Kalamazoo is well known for it's breweries and good restaurants. If you want a smaller place, I like South Haven, on Lake Michigan or Saugatuck, farther north. Saugatuck is more art oriented and very gay friendly.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Michigan Travel Answer Locations