Mexico City Travel Answers

change location
geotraveler413's Profile Photo

Mexico City solo traveling

by geotraveler413 Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Hi there,
I will be traveling to Mexico City on April 14, 2011. This will be a solo travel trip for myself. I am so excited! Anyone out there have any advice or recommendations of what to see and do? I will be staying in Gran Hotel de Ciudad de Mexico right across from el Zocalo. would love to meet and chat if anyone is out there during that time. So, if you guys have advice or where to go and where not to go, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Re: Mexico City solo traveling

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Well, I see you like "historical travel" so definitely dont miss the incredible Anthropological Museum in DF - there are of course a number of museums in the city, check the list and see what might intrigue you; right at hand will be the Templo Mayor - There are lots of day trips too (although requiring some hours on buses) to ruins like in Tula de Allende, of course Teotihuacan (just outside the city) - and south of the city there is a wonderful place called Malinalco, really beautiful with some nice small ruins up an easy path - Tepoztlan is interesting too, for its cliffs, new agy angels-for rent kind of stores, there are some small ruins there but it is quite a hike up to them - although through great rocks and cliffs....Coyoacan makes a nice visit too, although weekends and esp Sunday can be very crowded (go on a weekday, Frida Kahlo Museum etc), and San Angel is lovely, with the Saturday market at the Templo del Carmen, recommended - well, that is a start! Others will have to chime in for the night side....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • geotraveler413's Profile Photo

Re: Mexico City solo traveling

by geotraveler413 Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Thank you for the information. I really am looking forward to traveling and doing a lot of sight seeing. I will be in DF for 4 days. I all ready have two tour guides booked for two days. Will be visiting Teotihuacan and La Basilica de Guadalupe. Will also be going to the Xochimilco gardens. I will definitely take a day to explore the Anthropological Museum and Chapultepec Park. Its on my to do list. Might not make it out to Coyoacan, but will try to fit it in on my schedule. Do you know of any good places to eat?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I highly recommend a place called Pozoles. It sells the most amazing soups. It's a few blocks from the zocalo on one of the streets that run to alameda park

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I would highly recommend Coyacan.
    It´s an absolutely wonderful part of Mexico City and there is still a real Frida Kalho vibe there.

by walker11 Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Well you are staying in the heart of the city i.e. Zocalo that is the historic center of the Mexico city. The National Palace, The Metropolitan Cathedral and Temple Mayor are the main attractions in this area. Your list of places to see in Mexico city sounds good. If you have a good deal of time then apart from visiting city's main attractions it is nice to go for some side trips. Teotihuacan is a great side trip from Mexico. Other such trip that I would like to suggest is to Taxco. To reach the city of Taxco, you can take a bus or go via a rental car. It is around a 3-4 hours drive and full of historic monuments, and fantastic museums.

by Jetgirly Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Some things I enjoyed:

- Walking down Paseo de la Reforma and seeing all the different artistic benches
    - Seeing 117 murals painted by Diego Rivera at the Ministry of Education building (for free!)
    - Looking around the lobby of the gorgeous post office at the corner of Tacuba and Lazaro Cardenas
    - Xochimilco (but you're already going- I hope you've arranged to go with a tour GROUP as it's very social)

• gomexico's Profile Photo

Change hotel location

by gomexico Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM

My first recommendation is to change the location of your hotel. While okay to roam about during the daytime, your location in Centro Historico isn't conducive to solo, first-time travelers unfamilar with the edgy, sometimes insecure, vibe there. Basing yourself in Colonia Condesa or Colonia Roma is my recommendation. As for what to see and do: there are tremendous resources archived here on VT that provide that information, as well as some good guidebooks with the info - and seeing that we don't know your likes/dislikes, etc., if you read through that material I mention you can pick and choose your itinerary in the city. Have a wonderful visit in an exciting city.

• gomexico's Profile Photo

Change hotel location

by gomexico Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 8:12 AM

My first recommendation is to change the location of your hotel. While okay to roam about during the daytime, your location in Centro Historico isn't conducive to solo, first-time travelers unfamilar with the edgy, sometimes insecure, vibe there. Basing yourself in Colonia Condesa or Colonia Roma is my recommendation. As for what to see and do: there are tremendous resources archived here on VT that provide that information, as well as some good guidebooks with the info - and seeing that we don't know your likes/dislikes, etc., if you read through that material I mention you can pick and choose your itinerary in the city. Have a wonderful visit in an exciting city.

• 75Antonio's Profile Photo

by 75Antonio Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM

the location of your hotel is great!! from there you can visit many museums, galleries, markets, a subway station is close, some good clubs, pedestrian streets, get a bike for a few hours for free...

• pencho15's Profile Photo

by pencho15 Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I don't know how long are you going to be in my city, but Coyoacán is surely not to miss, if you like history then that's the best place to have a look at colonial Mexico inside the city, besides downtown. Other not so well known places that are worth seeing are the neighborhood of San Angel, also colonial and artistry and very close to Coyoacan. and the old convents of Churubusco (today a museum) and Desierto de los leones.
    Leaving history behind you could visit Ciudad Universitaria the campus of the most important university in latin america and recognized as a world heritage site by UNESCO due to it's architectonical concept.

by osoeno Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Your hotel is fine, but, as mentioned, the surrounding area may be a little dicey late at night.

Not far from your hotel on the western side of the cathedral you can board a turibus that gives a nice overview of the city. Do that first.

On Saturday you might enjoy a trip to the Bazaar Sabado in San Angel. There is some beautiful fine art as well as folk art, jewelry, and crafts. To get there on the metro get on the #2 line for dirrection Cuatro Caminos and switch lines to #7 for dirrection Barranca del Muerte, go all the way to Barranca del Muerte and after you exit and climb out of the subway all the busses you see in front of you are going to San Angel. Ask the driver or another passenger to tell you where the Templo del Carmen is and get off there.

When you return you could get off line 7 at Polanco and walk through a safe upscale neighborhood to Avenida Presidente Masaryk, sort of the Rodeo Drive of Mexico City.

There are a couple of good restaurants at the Bazaar Sabado and many in Polanco. At either place you can rub shoulders with Mexico's beautiful people.

As to where not to go, forget Garibaldi and dont be in the Alameda after dark

Always make friends with the security people at your hotel and never drink alone or with those you dont know.

• mccurdytom's Profile Photo

by mccurdytom Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Hey, are you still in Mexico City? I'm here alone waiting for a job to start and don't know anyone. Have you seen many sites I saw a few the last time I was here. If you want to hang out let me know Condesa is a really cool area if you've not been yet. Let me know my email is mccurdytom@me.com

P.S. I'm living in Zona Rosa 26 on the 25th of this month hope to enjoy it with a few drinks and I'm from the UK.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines