Mexico City Travel Answers

change location

How safe is it...or am I?

by Tristansmoma11 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I'm planning on a trip to Toluca Mx. After all of the outrage about cartels be headings etc my mom is absolutely terrified and against me going. I'm a 21 year old american blonde hair blue eyed female. I am going to be staying with my fiance and his family. What should I know about safety and how much should I worry. Planning on going late June for 2 - 2 1/2 weeks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: How safe is it...or am I?

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

"Safe" is a relative term. Stuff happens everywhere. American cities like Detroit, East St. Louis or Baltimore are scarier than resorts in Mexico. I am not going to say that Mexico is "safe" but 22.7 million tourists last year seemed to make it out alive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

As long as you ae a little streetwise then it should not be a problem.
    The only part of Mexico that i consider unsafe is the border region to the US where you have a lot of drug running but further down south in mexico you will find that things are very tranquil.
    And i would say that as a single female you are safer in Toluca than in places like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta where you have lot's of tourists.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

You are there with your fiance and his family...me parece che saben mejor que nosostros portarse seguramente, verdad?

Really, if you trust this guy enough to marry him, you can trust him and his family to keep you out of trouble...and there's a lot of Mexico to see where you won't have a problem..

Bill

2 members found this helpful

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I agree, that if you are with local people (who are NOT connected in any way with the drug trade!!) you should be just fine.

and if you are going to marry this guy, you should certainly see where he comes from and meet his family, etc.

It should be a most wonderful experience and you will probably feel and BE perfectly safe!

The beheadings are DRUG DRIVEN, so if there is no involvement there, you should be fine!

1 member found this helpful

• Re: How safe is it...or am I?

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Mexico is really quite safe for tourists, I have traveled all over alone - the cartels won't bother Americans and in any case you will be with your future family, so all this worry is really futile (well unless they are involved in crime or are being blackmailed) - enjoy! Mexico is super great - such beauty, such culture!

1 member found this helpful

• marttonius's Profile Photo

by marttonius Online Now Apr 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I agree with all the vt ´ers above, I live on the area that you will be visiting and it is not a problem especially if you are with locals, enjoy your visit.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mexico City