Mexico Travel Answers

change location
Helena1962's Profile Photo

Overland ADO-Buses

by Helena1962 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Hello fellow travelers, In about 1 month I will be for (unfortunately only) two weeks in Mexico. I will mainly be in Yucatán and then Palenque, Oaxaca and DF. I will be travelling, within the country, by bus, mostly ADO. Usually it is not very important if the bus is 30 minute delayed or something. But on a certain day, we must catch a plane from Villahermosa Airport and then it is EXTREMELY important.

So my question is: How punctual are the buses in Mexico? Can I rely on the fact that if the schredule says it departs at 5:40 h I will be on the way to my destination at this time (+/- 10 minutes)? What are your experiences on that?

I thank you very much for your answers!

Many greetings, Helena

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Overland ADO-Buses

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

There are no guarantees in life. Even in countries famous for punctuality, ie Germany or Japan, delays do happen. There could be a flat or a break down or an accident. While the ADO buses are generally on time, there is no assurance.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Helena1962's Profile Photo

by Helena1962 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Hi Fluffy, thank you for your very quick reply! Well Germany has no overland buses, except some fews internationals and some conecting two neighboring cities. But within the country there are no buses from a city to another ;o))) I've heard politicians want to change it, but this is future, not presens. All the best, Helena

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM

No buses in Germany? What about Eurolines, Berlin Linien, DienBus....? And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

I understand the whole train monopoly thing in Germany, but buses exist. And if "the future" you are reffering to is about the law passed in November 2012, which took effect January 2013 easing the regulations on long distance buses, then that would be the past, not the future or present. 

dw.de/regulations-eased-on-l...

But the original point stands true, regardless of the semantics of German buses. There are no guarentees that your bus in Mexico will be on time. It is not advisable as it is possible, though not probable, you could miss your flight. 

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

by Jetgirly Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I've spent a lot of time busing around Mexico and while I've found that buses usually DEPART on time, they rarely ARRIVE on time. Arrival times seem to be based on the assumption that there will be no traffic, no delays in picking up passengers en route, nobody vomiting and no hassles from the police along the route. There can also be queues at some (not all) bus stations- last January I took buses into the Tasquena (south) bus station in Mexico City and both times we spent more than ONE HOUR in a line of buses just to get a "parking spot" in the station.

1 member found this helpful

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM

if u have plane to catch u definitely have to give more.. much more than +/-10 min.. I've taken ADO bus before, the more luxurious grade, so its comfortable.. but at the bus station its quite chaotic, the lines are disorganised.. then they have to tag your bag, u have to collect your bag again later on, and all these add time...

• Helena1962's Profile Photo

by Helena1962 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Hello Fellow travelers! I thank you very much for your answers! The point is: At one night, I will be sleeping in Palenque. Next day, at 10:06 AM my plane to DF leaves from Villahermosa. The first available ADO-Bus is at 5:40 AM and the ride takes 2:30 H. What do you think about it? And another question: Are there buses going to Villahermosa's airport????

I'll be thankful for all suggestions you may give on this matter! Thank you very much!

All the best, Helena

@Fluffy: I stated the only buses I know in Germany conecting two cities are international ones, (like the one you mention: eurolines). And except if the cities are neighbours, there is no busline for that service or just very few connections. Let's say I want to go from Munich to Hamburg: No buses! Freiburg to Rostock: No buses! Hannover to Frankfurt/Main: No buses. Fulda to Kiel: No buses. And so on...

• Re: Overland ADO-Buses

by juandomingos Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

ADO Company in morning is often correct arrival time as little traffic and no need for driver resting / relaxing break time for short journey.

If long overnight bus then the time can be bad as then driver is bad for take rest too long than timetable.

In QRoo in day time ADO is often on time to timetable. Sometime it arrive early.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Overland ADO-Buses

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I agree with jetgirly that the buses LEAVE on time - but ARRIVE is another story, as a rest stop of 15 minutes easily becomes 45 minutes in Mexicol However, this is a short trip, as juandomingos points out - It will PROBABLY work but there is no guarantee. and you have tot get out to the airport - Villahermoso is a very big city. The plan would be too stressful for me - can you see Palenque and then travel in the evening? (although it is MUCH nicer to sleep in Palenque of course),,,Let us know how it worked out...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Mexico Travel Answer Locations