Metz Travel Answers

change location
Mikebb's Profile Photo

Return Day Visit From Strasbourg to Metz- By Train?

by Mikebb Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 6:35 AM

We will be visiting Strasbourg late August this year and would like to know how easy it would be to do a day visit by Public Transport, train or bus?

How many hours on the train?

Is it a good destination or are there better day trips from Strasbourg?
Mike

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Re: Return Day Visit From Strasbourg to Metz- By Train?

by K_V_B Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM

There are frequent trains from Strasbourg to Metz, taking about 1 1/2 hours. So a day trip is perfectly feasible. The best place to look up schedules for these trains is on the German Railway's website (yes, really) : www.bahn.de
    The best place to get tickets is at the station in Strasbourg.

Another good destination is Colmar. You could even go to Basel in Switzerland, or Karlsruhe or Freiburg in Germany

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Return Day Visit From Strasbourg to Metz- By Train?

by gwened Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM

very easy by train indeed, and car on the A4. Metz is great underrated i think wonderful cathedral more stained glass than even Strasbourg,and the inner city too.YOu will enjoy it
    Cheers
    you can check the destination above or read my little page on it, more in my blog
    "Beautiful Lorraine of France" - Metz by gwened

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM

There is a new branch of the Pompidou Center in Metz if you care for modern art. If I were in Strasbourg, I'd opt for a day trip to visit wine villages. They are nearly all gorgeous, very quaint and picture perfect. You would have to take a package tour, bus or rent a car since most won't have a train station.

Colmar, as suggested above, is also a great day trip and you do have train service there. Check VT pages on Colmar because there is a lot to do and it's a very pretty smaller city, the Venice of Alsace.

In all honesty, I've never gotten too excited about the Metz area but that is personal taste. I assume if you're considering it, you must have a reason. tourisme.metz.fr/en/sejour/v...

Have a great trip.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for the information KVB, Gwened and Sally. I had noted the wine villages but had not bothered as we will not have a hire car.

Will certainly take a wine villages tour.

We have extended our stay to 5 nights(really 4 full days as we travel from Amsterdam) before we take the train to Paris(2 nights) for return flight to Australia.

Mike

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Enjoy Alsace. It's one of our favorite parts of France . . . if one can have a favorite part. There are so many regions that are lovely . . .

Interestingly, we're visiting Metz in September on a brief tour of WWI battlefields and monuments. When in Alsace, though, either Colmar or the wine villages would be more of an Alsatian experience. You can only do so much on one trip. The solution, of course, is to take a lot of trips. ;^)

Have a great time.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You both will enjoy Metz, in Lorraine country not Alsace ok.... the region of birth of Jeanne d'Arc.
    you seem my page you know the cathedral can match any anytime, and history tell you has more stained glass coverage than Strasbourg.

Enjoy it.

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hi gwened. I know Metz is in Lorraine. That is why I suggested the poster might want to save it for a trip centered in that region. My idea was that if you are going to Alsace, it might be more fun to arrange your day trips in Alsace to get the most you could out of that particular trip.

Lorraine would be a delightful future trip . . . and entirely different in feel. We're doing it this Fall because my grandfather was in WWI and we wanted to explore the battlefields and monuments in the Verdun / Metz area.

That's the joy of France. Each region is so different from the others that you always have a future trip to plan. ;^)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 7:35 AM

but thats it, the two cities in two wonderful regions will be a great contrast to any visitor. Metz and Verdun are nice, been to both several times. Although not all here.
    In Verdun go to city mayor's office or mairie and on the patio there is a monument to the fallen in granite stone just beautiful sitting in a courtyard.
    Metz is wonderful all over, we have been also in Christmas and the marché de Nôel are fabulous too.

Cheers

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

gwened, Thank you. We'll be sure to visit the monument in Verdun. I hadn't heard of it before.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

so much to see so little time. I will be in Paris tom. Verdun is nice too, great walks along the river quais.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines