Meteora Travel Answers

change location

Driving between Meteora and Athens

by JOTD Online Now May 7, 2006 at 5:07 AM

We are considering renting a car and driving from Athens to Meteroa and Delphi before flying to Crete at the end of June. We plan to leave Athens on a Sunday morning and depart for Crete Monday afternoon. What is the drive like- length in hours, difficulty following directions, difficulty manuevering the road? Do we have time for Meteora and Delphi? Are there any issues with anyting being closed on Sunday? We haven't set our flight time to Crete and want to figure out our timng.

Any other helpful hints appreciated. Thanks!

Jo

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Driving between Meteora and Athens

by GKE Online Now May 7, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Hi there,

I am afraid that I will disappoint you. I find it extremely difficult and tiring to do something like that but it is possible. The main problem is that to reach these places you have to leave the main highway and drive through slower roads. The scenery is wonderful but you can not drive that fast on those roads. In addition Meteora is quite far way from Athens.

I will give you some approximate durations and I believe that you can achieve those times or do slightly better ones.

Athens to Delphi 2,5 -3 hours (I have done it in two hours but I have been there many times)
    Delphi to Meteora (actualy to the nearby city Kalampaka) 4-5 hours. You see you have to drive through mountains in some part of the distance.
    Athens to Meteora (again Kalampaka) about 6 hours.

Please take under consideration that Meteora has many monasteries and in many of them you have to walk and climb many stairs. So give your self time to rest. If you want to see all the monasteries you need the whole day or even more. Most of the people stay there overnight and split their visits to two days. Also you will spend at least two to three hours to Delphi and the nearby village of Delphi and Arahova.

If you decide to do that take a map with you and choose the route that you use for longer period the highway.

Because your schedule is very tight I propose to go only to Delphi and from there visit Arahova, which is really nice and graphical. From there drive for another 45 minutes to Itea and Galaksidi. These are two villages by the sea if you go directly down the mountain. Galaksidi is very beautiful and romantic especially in the afternoon. You can also swim in both places. I think this is a very good day trip.

Have fun

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Meteora