Mesa Verde National Park Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

Logistics of touring Spruce Tree, Cliff house, Balcony House

by swdke Online Now May 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If I were to arrive at Mesa Verde Visitor's center early enough to obtain tickets for Cliff House, and Balcony House, assuming I could get tickets to both, and I also wanted to visit Spruce Tree, what would be the logistics of seeing all three in a day?

For example, of these three, which do I visit 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

How much time should I allow for each?

How much time is necessary to get from one tour, and be there in time for the next location's tour?

Has anyone managed to do these three in a day?

Thanks for your help.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Logistics of touring Spruce Tree, Cliff house, Balcony House

by goodfish Online Now May 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM

You will only need a guided tour of Balcony House and Cliff Palace - Spruce House is self-guided.

Doesn't matter what order - that will be determined by what time/order your tours will be: you will be assigned times when you are issued your tickets. Get there as early in the morning as possible for best crack at getting tickets to both. It is almost an hour drive from the park entrance to the top of the mesa.

Balcony House and Cliff Palace tours are both one hour. Those two and Spruce House are located on the same mesa (Chapin) so are not far apart.

Yes, we could have (and would have) easily done all 3 if not for hailstorms the day we were there.

The NPS website will tell you everything you need to know:
    nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/g...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines