Mesa Verde National Park Travel Answers

change location
acprincess's Profile Photo

Any hot tips

by acprincess Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I'm going to Mesa Verde in April. I don't think the lodge is open yet. Will it be snowy? Any hot tips for hikes, motels, restaurants in the area?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • zrim's Profile Photo

Re: Any hot tips

by zrim Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Check ahead. We had Mesa Verde on our itinerary a couple years ago and we bypassed it because the roads to the most interesting pasrts of the park were under several feet of snow.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davequ's Profile Photo

Re: Any hot tips

by davequ Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Depends. April in that area can be snowy (lots of spring snow that melts quickly) or sunny & warming. Depends on what part of April (early / late) you're going.

If you're still interested, please post a little more specific info about what time you're going to be there.

The best (my opinion) part of "scenic" Colorado is driving north over the "Million Dollar Highway" (US550) over Red Mountain Pass down into Ouray and Telluride. That is a little over a 2-hour (about 80 miles from Mesa Verde) drive over Red Mountain Pass on 550 IN GOOD WEATHER.

My only warning is: You are going into one of potentially the snowiest parts of the Rockies at one of the most unpredictable (weather) times of the year.

Between mid march and early April at high elevations (anywhere between Durango / Cortez / Mesa Verde and Telluride / Ouray
    the weather can do anything from 70 degF & beautiful -
    to a nasty spring snowstorm /blizzard that could trap you at the top of a pass.
    Anything is possible. And if your vehicle (you are from SF (y/n?) is not equipped for snow driving, it could turn into a bad scene.

Be sure to do your homework, be prepared for any type of weather, and have the means to check weather carefully EVERY DAY. The storms move in and the weather changes quickly.

Not trying to be alarmist, but I traveled all over Colorado (playing music) for years around Cortez / Durango (where you're going), and anytime between Labor day in Sept to mid May, (weatherwise) ANYTHING can happen.
    Be prepared.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines