Merzouga Travel Answers

change location

Merzouga trip -goulmima - erfoud road

by beranie Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Please can anyone tell me whether the road that cuts across from near Goulmima to Erfoud is ok for use by a small hire car? or does one have to travel via El Rachidia? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Merzouga trip -goulmima - erfoud road

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

If you mean you are coming the Dades valley road ie from Tinerhr then you would turn off at Tinejdad just before Goulmima - but you can go visit Goulmima, the old town in is recommended - its only a short distance from the main road - anyway the road from Tinejdad coming from Tinerhr is the main road through to Erfoud - so no you dont have to go to Er Rachidia - and its quite nice scenery with interesting landscapes and towns through that way - all sorts of traffic use it and its fine - except for if theres been lots of rain and the low lying parts of the road will sometimes become deep with water.

the river crossing there too can be very high as it was once for us and had to wait a few hours to cross. but this is only in particularly wet times.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Merzouga trip -goulmima - erfoud road

by beranie Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Yes,we are coming from the Todra Gorge. We thought that we would spend a night in Goulmima and then go back to Tinejdad to travel across to erfoud. I'm glad that we dont have to go via El Rachidia because it looked like a long way. How long does it take to drive from Tinejdad to Erfoud? Thanks for your help.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Merzouga trip -goulmima - erfoud road

by angiebabe Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM

If it was me Id stay in Rissani - ie drive from Todra to Rissani and then in the morning see the sights of Rissani and then the afternoon and night in the desert at an auberge or out in the desert itself near Merzouga. the souk/markets in Rissani are worth some time esp if its the big souk day which many people come from miles around to buy and sell stuff

Ive got a couple of tips of places Id recommend in Rissani in my Rissani pages ie the Ennasra and the Asmaa - both are nice hotels. and can organise trips into the desert.
    or you could just do a half a day by 4x4 out into the desert where it really is beautiful and see the variety of landscapes out there, along with people who do live out there. and be out there for the sunset then another night in Rissani and head off early in the morning.
    if you would rather do that than a camel excursion - 4x4 is great and almost better - with the windows down of course though!

Goulmima is about an hour and a half from Rissani.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines