Merzouga Travel Answers

change location
soultravelers3's Profile Photo

HELP! Looking for BTDT exp. with "Les Nomads" Allesandra & Hmad ( Brazil & nomad)

by soultravelers3 Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 1:59 PM

I am new here and have looked every where for BTDT info on these people.
nomadsaharabivouacmerzouga.c...
She is from Brazil and he is from Morocco and they seem great...altho the prices are high compared to others.

I love thier website and they are terrific via email response.What I have read about them has been good, but I can not find anyone with experience with them which is very important to me.

We are a family with a 6yo traveling around the world and want a very special & safe experience in the desert, NOT an assembly line hardcore rough trip like I have read about in so many trip reports. ( We are planning on doing two nights with them, one with a special Berber family overnight).

( Plenty of people like the standard cheaper type, but we are only going to do this once and I want to do it well and feel confident with a young child and I would like more than going to the bathroom behind a bush with a bunch of people. I am in my 50's so past those days ).

Has ANY one had experience with these people ( standard, luxury,private? ) and can give me accurate and nuetral feedback about their expience?

I would really ,really appreciate it!! We are going in April and I do not want to book without more info. ( I know I can book things at the desert,but I want something special and want it in place before going as I am planning 7 months of travel right now).

If you don't know ,do you have ANY idea where I can get this info??

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

RE: HELP! Looking for BTDT exp. with "Les Nomads" Allesandra & Hmad ( Brazil & nomad)

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Hi, look up vt members site at johnsakura - and click on his merzougahotels.com etc and you will see his info recommending alessandra and her husbands desert trips , amongst other companies. all the reputable hotels do the overnight camel trips. check out websites and make calls as well for info if you want to shop around - there will be those who are able to accommodate your requests to maybe make a more private trip so that you dont have to stay in the same converging point as others often do when several auberges share the same overnight camp.
    you could check out auberge du sud, auberge erg chebbi, yasmina, dunes d'or (not to be confused with sable d'or) - they have the advantages of being in nice spots closest to the largest dunes.also timboctou if its back up and running - i would recomomend riad maria but i doubt they are back together after being devastated in last years major flooding.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • soultravelers3's Profile Photo

RE: RE: HELP! Looking for BTDT exp. with "Les Nomads" Allesandra & Hmad ( Brazil & nomad)

by soultravelers3 Online Now Feb 19, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Thanks Angiebabe,
    I actually found out about them thru John Sakura's site, but he seems to be the only one in cyberspace that knows them and it did not seem clear that he had BTDT experience with them.

I like them a lot and the beauty and care they put into trips ( have not seen as night any where on the web and definitely NOT in all the trip reports with pics of BTDT of other tours).

I am still hoping to get BTDT info on these specific people...Allessandra & Hmad. Somneone who has been on thier tour and what their experience was.

I have a PM to John, but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for your other ideas too.

RE: RE: RE: HELP! Looking for BTDT exp. with "Les Nomads" Allesandra & Hmad ( Brazil & nomad)

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 19, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Hi, i guess not hearing any negative amongst the grapevine which is often easier to hear than good reports might a good way to take it too. They sounded good to me when i phoned them and i have known a few around there so had a few options and they were convincing to me emough to book with them (but my connections blessed me instead) and i didnt get any negative reports of them from my connections either so if you are happy with the price and have talked to them enough on the phone then take the plunge.

(eg the lahmada auberge - a good setup but they ripped people off too many times and too many dubious faux guides are there also generating a bit of a sleazy place and theyve now done themselves in creating a bad reputation and even being taken out of the lonely planet guidebooks recommendations. the same will hopefully continue with the sable d'or as the moroccan proprietor there also is dishonest and happily using tourists and people will hopefully continue to hear about the bad reports and not waste their money there where he doesnt deserve it!)

i guess going with any trip, even those that get many good reports still cant 100% guarantee something wont go wrong or to everyones liking, as long as the safety factor is definitely there.and checking things out beforehand.

• soultravelers3's Profile Photo

Re: HELP! Looking for BTDT exp. with "Les Nomads" Allesandra & Hmad ( Brazil & nomad)

by soultravelers3 Online Now May 8, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Well we went and we had a FANTASTC time!!! These people are stupendous and I can not recommend them highly enough. John Sakura was right and you too Angie babe and I really, really appreciated the feedback from both of you.

It was really an experience of a lifetime for us and I owe it all to Alessandra who is an exceptional person.She came up with the idea of my child taking a camel ride into the Sahara to do a violin concert for 50 excited Berber kids in traditional dress which was awesome for all involved.

soultravelers3.com/blog/3BC3...

Due to my mobility challenges I ended up going by a quad dune buggy and my child and husband went by Camel for our overnight. We were blessed with perfect weather and a RAINBOW as we entered. AWESOME!

soultravelers3.com/blog/BEAF...

I really understand now why John Sakura is so positive about them and why you said good things angiebabe as it was an expereince we will never forget and we did pick the right people:

soultravelers3.com/blog/76AE...

It was a profound experience for us and I highly recommend it for all and even more so if you are dealing with a mobility challenge or traveling with kids where extra care is so appreciated. I think if you are going to do the Sahara you might as well do it well!!

Re: HELP! Looking for BTDT exp. with "Les Nomads" Allesandra & Hmad ( Brazil & nomad)

by angiebabe Online Now May 10, 2007 at 1:09 PM

hi and so nice to read your result - and that it all went so very well - have just been back myself and got taken to a friends friends toureg nomad family for lunch in the desert and then a night next to erg chebbi - and am in ouarzate right now on the way to mhamid - i cant find the exclamation key or i would have a few of those in here too.

great too to add to our list of contacts for future recommendations and vt travellers.bye for now and look forward to checking out your pages.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines