Merzouga Travel Answers

change location

Trip to the desert.. Please help

by TravellingJunkee Online Now Dec 30, 2006 at 12:33 AM

Someone stated on this website: I took a 2 day trek into the Sahara, the guy who went with me hooked us up with some local food that some Berber tribe we met out there cooked. It was Tagine which is a slightly sweet stew served with bread. There were my two other backpacker friends, the guide, and five of the Berbers eating in a big circle. We each got a round of bread and used our fingers to eat from the communal dish of tagine. It was great.

This is a great tip. Could someone help me with how i would go about doing this? I wanted to stay two days in the desert but in established tents or with teh Berbers. Please provide some contacts or details. I plan to stay with Kasbah Mohayut. Can i ask them to arrange it?

Also, would you bother staying in Merzouga at all or shoudl you venture out right away into the desert.
Also, how far is Tineghir from Merzouga? Thanks!

Thanks mate. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • TheLongTone's Profile Photo

RE: Trip to the desert.. Please help

by TheLongTone Online Now Dec 30, 2006 at 4:00 AM

You won't have any trouble arranging something like you describe. The twin gateways to Mergouza are Erfoud and Rissani: the latter is full of self-styled 'blue men of the desert' who are avid to lay on whatever kind of trip you want. The problem is more one of fending them off and making your own choices.
    You only have a little time. I'd stay at least one night in one of the many hostels that the approach to Mergouza is strewn with, and organise a 'trek' into the desert from there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JamalMorelli's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Trip to the desert.. Please help

by JamalMorelli Online Now Dec 30, 2006 at 5:04 PM

I've got in the habit of recommending VT member johnsakura as a good person to contact on the Merzouga issue - the guy is connected and is a long time member here.

And Dude, for the record, that tajine will taste just as good anywhere else in the Maghreb. If I had to go to the desert each time I wanted a tajine, I'd be one sandy mamma-jamma.

But I dig that you are wanting the communal desert trip - so go ahead and lay it on Senor John, he should be able to hook you up (johnsukura@vt.com).

Take care, boo
    Jamal Morelli

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines