Merzouga Travel Answers

change location

The desert in August

by GigiWilliams Online Now Jul 18, 2004 at 10:11 AM

Are we crazy to go down to the desert in early August? Is there some way we can time our visit to avoid the heat. Maybe drive down in an air conditioned vehicle and get there in the evening, take a ride on a camel, sleep overnight in a tent, wake up to see the sunrise then zip out of there in an airconditioned vehicle? Is the heat tolerable in the early evening? I don't want to miss the desert and we probably won't be back any time soon. But I also don't want to die of heat stroke. Anyone know of ways to keep cool? Please give me some ideas! Thanks, Gigi

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Nazha's Profile Photo

Re: The desert in August

by Nazha Online Now Jul 20, 2004 at 1:27 PM

well, hope not, cause we are going also same time to M'hamid. Is mine 5th time, and second in august. I can tell you is very hot, is much different to what is in June or July. But I did survive even with out air-condition sometimes.Late afternoon riding is good advice or early morning. Am sure you will have hot and lovely time. Are you going only to dunes? ONE SAHAROUI ADVICE Is very good for your temperature equilibrium to drink hot herbal infusion or ask lovely moroccan people for moroccan tea with less-less sugar. My old friend told me this, pure saharoui man and am practising and it works. If you do refresh yourself with cold drinks you will feel thrsty all day long and your body will feel heawy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ainzerka's Profile Photo

Re: Re: The desert in August

by Ainzerka Online Now Jul 24, 2004 at 6:55 AM

The previous poster is absolutely right. You can have tea made with not only mint, but also thyme, valerian, wormwood (chiba), or any other herb available. Some might be more effective against the heat than others.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines