Mersing Travel Answers

change location

Mersing to Gemas

by Boyley Online Now Sep 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Hi folks,

I'm new to all this so if i ask anything stupid, please go easy!

Anyway, myself and my better half are travelling for the first time in oct. I was wondering if anyone knows if its easy/possible to get from Mersing to Gemas. We are going to Tioman, and wish to travel up to Perhentian (sp) islands, via the 'Jungle train'.

Any help/advice on how to do this would be ace

Also any further must do's, see, experience are also more that welcome

Nice one

Pete

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bckl2255's Profile Photo

Re: Mersing to Gemas

by bckl2255 Online Now Sep 13, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Gemas is a small town where the train split into the West bound train and East bound train. Getting to Gemas can be done but won't be easy. I suggest the better choice is to travel from Mersing to Kluang. There are 4 bus trips per day from Mersing to Kluang and it takes about 2 hours. It is not an express bus, so it will have many stops along the way. Alternatively, you can take a taxi to Kluang which is much faster. Takes about only 1 hour but will cost you more.

You can catch the Jungle Train from Kluang train station.

I don't know how much time you have and whether you have the budget to spend a bit more. If you have both, you can split your jungle train into 2 parts. Take Kluang to Jerantut. From Jerantut get yourselves to Taman Negara. It is worth a 2 nights stay. There will be plenty of agents in Jerantut train station to "assist" you. If you don't want anything to do with these agents, get yourself a taxi and go to Kuala Tembiling jetty. That where the boat will take you to Taman Negara. Once you are there, you can look for accommodations.
    Once you have enough, go back to Jerantut to continue your jungle train to Wakaf Baru for your connection to Kuala Besut Jetty (to Perhentian islands)

You did not mentioned what dates you are travelling in Oct. FYI, Oct 13-15 is the Muslim New Year (Hari Raya)and the areas you going tends to be Muslim majority, things tend to go much more slower.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Mersing to Gemas

by chiscosans Online Now Jun 19, 2009 at 3:35 AM

I'm really interested in doing the same. Can you tell me what did you finally didi about that? Is it possible to go form Mersing to Gemas by bus?

Thanks

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines