Mérida

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Rental Properties in El Centro

by bluenoser55 Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Hi, I'm planning on spending 2-3 months in Merida and I'd like to start a list of potential rentals.
      I'm a middle aged + solo female traveler. I have traveled in Mexico for many years but have not spent much time in Merida.
      I want to be in centro or within a 15 minute walk.
      The rental must have a pool and be in a safe neighborhood.
      Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a reliable honest property manager to contact.

Thanks

• SanathP's Profile Photo

cancuncarrental.com

by SanathP Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Anyone have any recent experience with the above agency in Merida?

• Driving time Merida to Tulum

by nycJo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM

How long to drive direct (no stops)? I read the trip is now only 2.5 hours but have not been able to confirm.

2 Answers Mar 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    • female travelers

by lenore27 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

My father wants to know if the buses that run between Cancun and Merida are safe for 2 American women.

5 Answers Mar 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    • Car Rental

by smik13 Online Now Jan 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We are spending 2 weeks in Progresso just north of Merida. Has anyone rented a car through rentalcar.com? Or have you rented a car on arrival at the airport? We have always booked a car over the internet but are concerned about the 3rd party liablility which now has to be purchased from a mexican company? Any suggestions? Thanks!

4 Answers Jan 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    • Trip from Merida - Cancun

by themask Online Now Nov 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I am in Merida and planning to visit Cancun in one of my weekend. I really have no time in planning as this is a bussiness trip and Im busy on weekday in Merida. I hope you can suggest on my question below.

1) Can I leave in Merida in Friday night by bus? Is it safe to do so?Any bus company recomendation?
      2) Is there any cheap accomodation in Cancun (less than 50 USD) per day.
      3) How many days I needed so I can explore cancun. Will 2 days will be enough?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

4 Answers Nov 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    • Wrestling game in Merida

by themask Online Now Oct 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I will be in Merida for couple of weeks and one of my wish list to watch a wrestling game? Any suggestion of schedule and venues?

3 Answers Oct 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    • Question re: my anti-depressant medication in mexico

by ewhiteart Online Now May 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Since I am planning to live in Mexico for some time. How do I go about getting my prescription for Zoloft and Welbutrin refilled while I'm there? Is there Mexican health insurance that I would need or is the cost reasonable enough to just pay cash? Any info appreciated. Thank you!

• motorcycle rental

by mulderdog Online Now Dec 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM

..in merida... for a week....nothing fancy......125 cc....(or more).... ANY ideas welcome.....private rental .... etc... thanks

• Air Fares

by david&beth Online Now Mar 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Why is it so much more expensive to fly into Merida as opposed to Cancun? The taxes seem to be the problem. Also, how safe is the Merida/Progreso area in the light of recent reports of violence?

5 Answers Apr 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    • Merida to chichen itza

by travellady11 Online Now Mar 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM

How would I get from Merida to Chichen Itza? How far is it? I was thinking about 3 hours by bus? Where can I get a bus in town? Thanks!

4 Answers Jan 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    • Bus Information Merida- Dzibilchaltun- Progresso

by zydeking Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 7:38 AM

My fiancee and I will be in Merida on the 22nd and hoping to make a side trip to Dzibilchaltun on our return trip to Progresso in the afternoon. I've read that there is a bus from Merida to Dzibilchaltun. My question - Is there a bus at the ruins on to Progresso? Thanks in advance

3 Answers Dec 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    • Cancun Bus Stop & Travel in the Yucatan

by Ladyplus Online Now Jan 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I will be arriving in Cancun at 6 PM.

1. I would like to take the ADO 1st class bus from Cancun to Merida. Can I take the bus directly from the airport? If not, what is the best way to get to the bus station?

2. Is it safe for a single woman to take the 4 hour bus trip at night?

3. I'd prefer to take a private car, or taxi. Does anyone know of an inexspensive (less than100 US) way that I could do this?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!

3 Answers Feb 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    • Bus tours of Merida/Campeche/Uxmal/Progreso/Chichen Itza

by BANSI Online Now Oct 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Is there a English speaking BUS TOUR of Merida and surrounding tourist places?
      Also from Merida I want to go on BUS TOUR to Campeche, Uxmal, Progreso, Chichen Itza etc...
      Is there a bus tour I can take from my hotel in Merida to all these places and then back to my hotel @ night? (PS: I don't know what hotel I am staying yet).
      I have 1.5 (a day and half) to explore these places and then another 1.5 (day and half) to go explore Playa, Tulum and Chetumal. What is a inexpensive BUS Tour I can take?

Thanks in advance.
      Bansi

4 Answers Oct 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    • Transport from Cancun to Chelem

by jhiggins Online Now May 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Hi everyone,
      We are taking a trip to Chelem in August. We will be arriving at Cancun. If we hire a car just to get to Chelem, is there a drop off point? If we take the bus from Cancun, can we get a bus all the way to Chelem, or will we have to change to a taxi at some point?
      Thank you !!

4 Answers Jul 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    • Travel By Bus from Cancun to Merida

by carlotabjork Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Hi, I will be traveling with a 3 year and I will be 6 months pregnant at the time of travel. I was wondering how safe it is to travel by bus from Cancun to
      Merida. My husband will not be with us and we do have family friends in Merida. I also speak decent spanish and have traveled in mexico before.

3 Answers Aug 16, 2009 at 3:18 AM
    • New-to-Yucatan's Profile Photo

Planning first Merida/Yucatan trip to decide on retiring there in about 3 years...

by New-to-Yucatan Online Now Jan 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Hello to All and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! My husband Nick and I are planning a trip to the Yucatan (Merida) at the end of Feb. 09. It will be our first trip there and are really looking forward to it. Because of the great airfares from Miami to Cancun, we will be flying into Cancun but our final destination will be Merida. It looks like such a wonderful city. We want to look at the place and look at some real estate (we've been browsing the internet for quite some time now). We're still undecided whether we want to be in the city or in the beach area. It there is a beach town with lots of stuff going on, like maybe Progreso, we might decide for the beach. That's why this trip is so important. We love Mexico and the Mexican people (and their food, of course). We wanted to know if it would be best to rent a car in Cancun upon arrival and drive to Merida, or if it would be better to take the bus from Cancun to Merida and just rent the car there. How far is it? How are the roads? Is it safe? If we go with the bus, how long a trip is that? Is there an express bus directly from Cancun to Merida that doesn't stop in every little village? How much does it cost? Any misc. information that any member can provide to assist us in this trip will be greatly appreciated. We are very limited on time (max. 5 days) because of our business so needless to say we want to explore as much as possible. It is NOT a sightseeing/tourist trip - it's mainly to research the options of living in the city or the beach areas. What are the best beach areas to live permanently? Are there any other American couples/expats living in these areas? I cannot think of anything else right now...
      ANY INFO WILL BE GREAT. Thank you to all who reply.
      Eva

8 Answers Aug 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    • Where to meet expats

by shukers Online Now Nov 30, 2008 at 7:51 AM

We will be in Merida Dec 9-13-08 for the first time to check out possible retirement options. Where would one go to meet expats for a quick download on local info. Breakfast cafe, bar, resaurant, local bartender?

More interested in local lifestyle than notable tourism stops.

John Shukers

5 Answers Jan 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    • Merida ruins

by jblodge Online Now Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM

What is the best way to get from Merida to Chichen Itza? Are there private individuals one can hire?
      What is the best way to get from the airport into town?

JBL

7 Answers Jan 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    • ridermirv's Profile Photo

Cheaper Hotels In Merida

by ridermirv Online Now May 1, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for affordably priced ($20US to40US) hotels in Merida that are near the action. I would like to be close to the zocalo, street markets, nightlife, etc...I do need a room with a bath, but besides that, I'm not to picky.

Thanks

7 Answers May 6, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    • stamporama's Profile Photo

Opinion on itinerary

by stamporama Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Hi guys,

My wife and I have finally decided to go around Yucatan (along with our teenage daughter) on the first week of May, flying into Merida from the US and right after a 3-day stay at Mexico City. Please give your views on this proposed itinerary:

day 1: arrive in Merida in the afternoon, check in at hotel and explore the town.
      day 2: being a Sunday, I heard it's fiesta time in Merida so hang around till noon, then in the afternoon go to Chichen Itza and check in at a local hotel.
      day 3: tour Chich ruins in the morning, go and tour Coba in the afternoon, then return to Merida afterwards.
      day 4: go to Uxmal/Puuc route for the whole day, then back to Merida.
      day 5: go to Cancun early morning, stay there the whole day then back to Merida.
      day 6: fly back to the US via Mexico City.

Given this schedule, do you think days 2-4 could only be done with the use of a rental car or could we manage by bus? And does anyone have any feedback on the Dolores Alba hotel in Merida or Chichen? It's not listed among the VT Merida hotels tab though the Frommer's website rates it 1-star (out of 3).

Thanks for any remarks!

9 Answers Mar 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM
    • schmechi's Profile Photo

Where to book a hotel? (hotel agencies)

by schmechi Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Unfortunately Merida seems to be overbooked during the time, I want to visit Mexico. So I'm not able to book via www.opodo.de and www.expedia.de. Unfortunately it is impossible to book via www.orbittz.com (or similar American offerors) without having a US billing addess (it works for some European countries, but unfortunately not for Austria).

So where to book? Do you know other adresses? How does http://www.mexicohoteles.com.mx/ work (unfortunately only in Spanish but self-explanatory... Are all mentioned hotels available? Will I be booked immediately?).

Do you have any other ideas?

I need a hotel in Merida from 10th or 11th March till 16th or 17th (depending on the flight I'll catch) and in Cancun from about 17th till 24th.

4 Answers Feb 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM
    • Lauren5020's Profile Photo

Merida holiday suggestions...hotel/hostel, things to do

by Lauren5020 Online Now Feb 27, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Hi VTers.
      Looking for ideas on places to stay and things to do in Merida. Going there in May (for a 5 day weekend). Plans to visit Chichin Itza, other than that we're open.
      We're a couple, in our 20's, would be willing to stay in a hotel or hostel...mainly we need something on the cheaper side.
      What about travel to the ruins? Should we book a tour or take a bus? One more question, should we stay in Chichin Itza or head back to Merida for the night?
      Thanks, as always, for all help!

5 Answers Jan 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Merida-Tikal?

by schmechi Online Now Feb 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM

What is the most comfortable way to get to Tikal from Yuacatan peninsula (I suppose Campeche and/or Tulum will be the southernmost point I'd reach in Yucatan without this detour) Apart from the mentioned I'd be staying in Merida and Cancun the most time of my journey.... Is there any chance for a short trip to Tikal? How long would you estimate, that this trip takes?

btw: I suppose it is forbidden to cross the borders with hired cars, isn't it?

1 Answer Feb 27, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Merida as basis for Yucatan trip?

by schmechi Online Now Feb 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Is Merida a good basis for daily trips to all the sights in Yucatan peninsula?
      Especially I'm thinking about visiting Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Valladolid, Ek Balam, Izamal, Tulum and may be Campeche.
      Do you think it is more clever to go back to a prebooked hotel in Merida every night or to book several hotels near all the sights (a typical "round-trip") (btw, I suppose it is also a question of cost).
      How long would you plan for such a trip? Did I miss some must-sees? And would it be possible to do all daily trips from Cancun as well?

Btw: Is there any comfortable way to see Tikal as well or is it too far abroad?

5 Answers Feb 27, 2008 at 7:13 AM
    • Dengue Fever

by Kate222 Online Now Jan 15, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I just read an article in the Merida Insider on Dengue Fever. Is this a concern in the Merida/Progreso area? As a visitor, what precautions would you suggest?

Thanks, Kate

6 Answers Feb 18, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    • lucieranger's Profile Photo

Car rentals

by lucieranger Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM

We want to rent a car for one month (beginning mid-February) at Merida airport. We are looking for an all inclusive rental rate. Where should we find the best deal?
      Thanks.

6 Answers Jan 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    • Lodging recommendation?

by Tbuoy Online Now Dec 21, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Planning on a one or two day stop in Merida and am looking for recommendation for lodging right in the middle of where what ever happes in Merida is happening. Not looking for any frills, just a real Mexican experience.

7 Answers Feb 22, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    • villagegrrl's Profile Photo

Finally, our Itinerary!

by villagegrrl Online Now Dec 12, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Hello Everyone

Thank you very much for all the information and suggestions that you have given us here on this forum. We're two college students on budget so we decided to do pretty much everything by bus. We bought Moon Handbooks and it's great with giving us the bus schedule and duration for all the cities.

Day 01 (Sunday): Stay in Merida to enjoy the street festivals

Day 02 (Monday, Christmas Eve): Take one of those ATS buses that go to the Puuc Route and visit Uxmal and other smaller sites along the route.

Day 03 (Tuesday, Christmas Day): Take the first class bus early and enjoy the sight. Leave for Valladolid by bus after lunch. Have Genesis Retreat pick up from the bus station and transfer to their guesthouse. Hopefully, we would have time to tour Ek'Balam before the sun sets. Stay the night at Genesis Retreat.

Day 04 (Wednesday): Take the first bus out from Valladolid to Tulum. After lunch, we would like to go to Coba but there is no bus from Coba to Merida after 2:30 in the afternoon and I don't think there is enough time. So it seems like we are going to have to skip Coba this time. Perhaps, we could take a quick ride to Cancun and stay around for a while. Take a late evening bus back to Merida.

Day 05 (Thursday): Visit Campeche by bus. After staying in the town for a while, take a bus to Edzna.

Day 06 (Friday): This is our last day in Mexico and I haven't planned this out yet. We would like to visit one of the haciendas. We're thinking of Hacienda Sotuta de Peon and it looks like we're gonna have to contact a local tour company. Any other suggestion?

The itenerary above is only going to work out if the buses run like any other days on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Please feel free to comment or tell us what you think.

HJ

9 Answers Dec 13, 2007 at 8:08 PM
    • villagegrrl's Profile Photo

A few questions on various topics

by villagegrrl Online Now Nov 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Hello Everyone

My friend and I will be in Merida from December 22nd (Saturday) to December 28th (Friday). This is our first time visiting Mexico and we are going to set our base in Merida to explore the ruins and visit the nearby small towns.

Our biggest concern is whether we should join a local tour group or take a bus on our own. We would like to go to Chichen Itza and Valladolid one day. We are planning of devoting one full day to explore the Puuc Route and another day to visit Tulum and Cancun. Is it possible to go to Tulum and Cancun from Merida by bus on the same day? We would also like to go to Campeche and visit a hacienda if time permits. We're two asian girls and we don't speak spanish. Would it be easy for us to take bus to all of the places I mentioned above?

The other question is what we should do on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Do buses operate on those days? If not, is there any public celebration in Merida? We're not really into hopping bars, drinking or clubbing, etc.

Thanks for your time.

Heidi and Justine

4 Answers Nov 28, 2007 at 9:31 AM