Mérida Travel Answers

change location

female travelers

by lenore27 Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

My father wants to know if the buses that run between Cancun and Merida are safe for 2 American women.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • wabat's Profile Photo

Re: female travelers

by wabat Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Yes.

While all buses are fine your father may be more at ease if you use higher end services ..
    Eg
    ADO who operate various classes . Of course the higher class you pick the more you pay. Father may subadise you for platinum service -:) though that's hardly necessary for a 4 hr journey.

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

While the site is in Spanish it's fairly obvious to see what to enter to get timetables and prices.
    Trip around 4 hours buses every 15 mins or so.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Jan 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Mexican long distance busses are almost run like airlines and you have security and bags are checked in and tagged and you will be absolutely fine there from a security point of view as long as you use one of the major companies.

• Re: female travelers

by Jim42 Online Now Jan 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I am an older male and have made the trip 1 time. Very comfortable ride, movies, bathroom. Personally I don't believe you will have any problems. Go Just sit back, take a nap and enjoy the ride.

• MonoBichi's Profile Photo

by MonoBichi Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Absolutely safe. Very frequent buses from the ADO station downtown.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: female travelers

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Of course they are safe - I even flagged down a second class bus once near Chichen Itza on my way to Merida, with a good amount of luggage, and had no problem whatsoever - I have traveled all over Mexico on buses of all sorts alone and never had the slightest problem, except maybe the sleepy woman who didn't want to cede me my reserved window seat. And in that case, the bus driver supported me! Just no buses on remote roads at night, like Palengue - San Cristobal, and even there, the odds are quite with you...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines