Mérida Travel Answers

change location

Bus Information Merida- Dzibilchaltun- Progresso

by zydeking Online Now Feb 12, 2010 at 7:38 AM

My fiancee and I will be in Merida on the 22nd and hoping to make a side trip to Dzibilchaltun on our return trip to Progresso in the afternoon. I've read that there is a bus from Merida to Dzibilchaltun. My question - Is there a bus at the ruins on to Progresso? Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Gatopardo's Profile Photo

Re: Bus Information Merida- Dzibilchaltun- Progresso

by Gatopardo Online Now Feb 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Ok, I first thought that one would take the bus from Autobuses Progreso (in downtown Merida, 1 block south of the main plaza) and ask the driver to drop you on the highway where you see the road to Dzibilchaltun, but then I realized that it's a long walk (maybe 3 kilometers, it's usually very hot and you lose time because there's nothing to see along that small road).

Well, I found the following in yucatantoday and yes, it makes sense:

"How to get there:
    If you don't have a car, you can hire a combi (collective taxi) on Calle 69 between 62 and 64 to take you there. This is in San Juan Park where they go directly to Dzibilchaltún."

Just in case: ask the driver how to return to Merida, the hour is important in case that we can't figure it out how to connect to Progreso.

Mmm, maybe from the closest town, maybe Chablekal? I wonder if there are taxis outside of Dzibil...

It will take me a little to find that info. Once again, I am thinking about the Progreso Bus going back and forth on the highway, I am thinking that if the combi is not possible, the bus could be an option, but you might need to arrange the ride from Dzibi to the road and wait for the bus there (which sounds like an additional adventure, and also too much). I will look that up.

Oh a taxi from Merida to:
    - Progreso 300 pesos
    - Dzibilchaltún 200 pesos

Additional, there's an entrance fee to the site maybe4 or8 USD (bring pesitos!, Hours: 8 am - 4 pm.

Oh!! There is a very pretty cenote inside the archaeology site, the name is Xlakac, you can swim there. Bring your swimming suit and a light towel - snorkle and other water toys are not allowed.

Transportation from Merida:
    bicycleyucatan.blogspot.com/...

Yucatantoday (free magazzine):
    yucatantoday.com/en/topics/d...

yucatantoday.com/en/topics/y...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gatopardo's Profile Photo

Re: Bus Information Merida- Dzibilchaltun- Progresso

by Gatopardo Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 5:38 AM

=(

Hi again, I couldn't find anything on the trip from Dzibil to Progreso.

The websites mentioned earlier can tell you where to get the transportation from Merida to Dzibil, if it's difficult to find that info online, ask the people directly when you pay for your ride at the booth or with the driver.

It's important that you know at least the time table from the "colectivos" from Dzibil to (maybe Chablekal) or to Merida if it's not possible to connected as you need it. I have been asking to friends there and I am being unlucky.

One more thing that could help you is to drop the question to http://www.yolisto.com/ - that's a web where expatriats share their questions at a local level, since they live there in Merida, maybe they could have a better idea bout where and when to take the transport to Progreso.

I am short in my answer, I hope you can solve that little mystery.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! =)

• Re: Bus Information Merida- Dzibilchaltun- Progresso

by jeanfinney Online Now Dec 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I visited the site last year from Merida - I found a collectivo to the nearby village - I cant remember the name - but then I had to pay a guy to pedal me out to the site - He seemed to me to charge too much - of course it is not really enormous - but what else could I do? - On the way back, it was a bit tricky to get back to that same village, from which there are many collectivos - I did make it somehow finally, by hitchhiking! However, I has just missed a bus and it was the end of the day - The simplest solution is to go earlier in the day and then you will find a way - I think there are some collectivos that go directly there, but not too frequently - It is a lovely place, dont miss it!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines