Mérida Travel Answers

change location

Christmas in Merida

by trillash Online Now May 22, 2007 at 9:04 AM

My husband and I will be in/around Merida from December 23rd to the 31st and I am curious as to what may or may not be happening in the city over the Christmas holiday. We're hoping there may be street festivals of some sort here, as last time we were in Mexico during the holiday the town we were in basically shut down. If anyone has info on what/when/where, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Traci

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Gatopardo's Profile Photo

Re: Christmas in Merida

by Gatopardo Online Now May 24, 2007 at 9:17 AM

It's basically the same, everybody is gone to see their families.

One thing you could do is contact a hotel or a restaurant, sometimes they have a party or a dinner for visitors, with chamber music of a very selected menu.

In the case of Christmass, we have a special dinner on the night of the 24, then everybody is off and relaxing on the 25th, it's very different from New years eve, where you can probably find more to do on the night of the 31, but you have to reserve in advance, depending what you want.. in most of the cities, you will see fireworks in downtown very close to midnight.

You might find more information about something going on for visitors on meridainsider.com they have a community of expatriates living in Merida and might plan for something ahead, also keep a look to yucatantoday.com they might have something schedule in the magazzine for those important dates.

Enjoy Merida!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Christmas in Merida

by utahcousin Online Now Jun 19, 2007 at 2:53 PM

If you want to head out to Progreso (the beach), there is a large annual 24th of December Christmas party at Buddy's Resturant. It is a lot of fun with both local people and the snowbirds.

• Gatopardo's Profile Photo

Re: Christmas in Merida

by Gatopardo Online Now Jun 19, 2007 at 9:18 PM

I didn't think about buddy's.. that's an option! There is another, it's half a block from the main plaza toward the beach in chicxulub, the restaurant is Las Cazuelas,i saw a big community of snowbirds landing there ... they had a pretty good enviroment, but i think only me and another couple people there were the only mexicans/yucatecans...

There is a website called meridainsider.com, it's a website for the foreign community where you can also ask the local if they are planning something special, that might be interesting.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines