Mérida Travel Answers

change location

Advice needed for traveling around the Yucatan

by gylina Online Now Dec 16, 2005 at 1:21 PM

I'm trying to figure out if it's best/easiest to just stay in one place- Merida or Cancun, and do day trips to places like Chichen Itza and Tulum, or if I should plan to stay overnight in each place.

I'm not big into the nightclub/partying scene; more into the nature/history of the places. Just don't want to get stuck somewhere without a place to sleep...

So maybe advice about getting around- bus vs rental car would also be appreciated, as well as info about whether or not it's easy to just just walk into a hostel/hotel and book a room for the same day, or should I try to book beforehand.

Fyi- I will be in the area from the 1st to the 7th.

Muchas gracias,
Lina

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • melosh's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Advice needed for traveling around the Yucatan

by melosh Online Now Dec 17, 2005 at 11:48 AM

I do not think you need to worry about booking ahead of time especially since you seem game for the hostel/hotel level of accomodations. Unless you are looking for travel companions I would recommend you skip the hostels and find a cheap centrally located hotel. (You could get a room for the same cost as a bed in a hostel.) If you are flying in, chose the cheaper tickets for either Merida or Cancun. Cancun would be central if you want to see go south of Tulum, see Isla Mujures, Cozumel and Chichen Itza, but it is a resort-tourist town with little history and an immigrant culture. I am sure that there are inexpensive hotels in the town rather than in the hotel zone on the beach. Merida is much older and culturally distinctive. It is central for Chichen Itza, Uxmal (etc.) plus caves and hemp haciendas, and Puerto Progresso for sea food. My choice would be to establish myself in Merida for the music, the food, the museums, the market and historic buildings.
    If my flight arrived in Cancun I might go to Tulum and then turn around and head to Merida with a stop at Chichen Itza for either the trip to Merida or the trip back to the Cancun airport. A night in Cancun would be a waste unless it was necessry to go to Isla Mujeres.
    The Mexican bus service is probably the best in the world. The greatest convenience, greatest range of service quality and still very fair pricing. This is capitalism with slight government regulation at its best. In general, I advise against car rental in Mexico --see multiple tips, warnings and other posts on VT --, but for a large group with an interest in smaller places and perhaps some Spanish language skills and an intrepid driver, it could be OK. Many have done it. I rented a van for a day once to do the Uxmal circuit and had no difficulty. It was easier and seemingly safer than driving in central Mexico.
    Have a good trip. bob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Advice needed for traveling around the Yucatan

by gylina Online Now Dec 17, 2005 at 5:59 PM

thanks for the info, bob.

lina

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines