Mérida Travel Answers

change location

Bus from Cancun to Merida

by sara95 Online Now Jun 4, 2005 at 11:26 PM

I am flying into Cancun at 3-30pm, the bus to Merida will reach at 8-45 pm at the Fiesta Americana station. Is it safe at night? I have travelled a lot in buses on other routes in mexico but never this route and never at night. I will appreciate any info you may have.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Gatopardo's Profile Photo

RE: Bus from Cancun to Merida

by Gatopardo Online Now Jun 6, 2005 at 9:16 PM

Question: What day of the week?
    If it's from Sunday to Thrusday you will find the city kind of empty, if it's in Friday & Sat you will see people everywhere.

It is safe. This area is safe and nobody will try to steal a foreigner, not in this area, also there are cops or tourisic officers walking around. To make people feel safe.

The fiesta americana bus station is pretty well located. There is a veeery nice hotel in there, also another in front named Hyatt, it's the best here, so it's supposed to be safe for the guests.

There is an Oxxo store in front of the bus station, so it's okay to buy there as well for a sneak. Or inside the hotel, on the first floor, there is a restaurant called Sanborns, prices are average and food is average, so it's fine if you haven't eaten in the 4 hours ride from Cancun). You can even use the bathroom (sanitarios) if not buying anything.. i found that tip usefull once!

Question: Where is your hotel? Ok, in the Fiesta Americana you can take a taxi, tell them to take you to your hotel, they will do it, prices are not too high as they are in cancun. So no matter what they charge price will be reasonable. .. but from the airport, there is crazy.

If you stay in Fiesta Americana and need to buy stuff, there is a very nice walmart, yes walmart right by crossin the Avenue in the back of the side where you will be dropt. Another is next to the hotel, you will see the american consulate to feel safe enough! =)

From there to the rest, just enjoy!

If you have more questions, feel free to ask! I will be happy to answer!

Zara

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Bus from Cancun to Merida

by sara95 Online Now Jun 8, 2005 at 9:47 PM

Thanks for your help. Yes, we will be staying in Fiesta Americana at least for 2 nights before we travel to Progresso and other places. I have been to Mexico City, so I know Sanborn. But the Walmart info is great. We are not renting a car but definitely would like to do the Puuc Route including Uxmal of course. Is there any car/driver hiring possible while we are there? If you know of any pls let me know. Thankx again.

• Gatopardo's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Bus from Cancun to Merida

by Gatopardo Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 12:51 PM

Your trip sounds fun!

Ruta Puuc (Uxmal, Sayil, Labna, Kabah, Xlapak) Uxmal is the major site to visit. There is a light & sound programm at night. It's probably you already have the info, if you dont here is goes briefly:

1. Hiring a tour: This is very complete and they take you to all the sites on the rout. All of them re interesting. If the tour already includes the entrance fee that is great.

2. Taking he tour by yourself. Here you can take the route very early from the ADO bus station, it makes the complete route and it's not expensive, but leaves early, around 8 am i think.

3. Same bus station, maybe you will be only able to visit Uxmal, it drops you on the road, it's kind of fun, to explore by yourself.

4. Renting a car, this way you get to see more.. definately.
    But you said you will not.

Bring SUN BLOCK, Mosquito repelent, a hat or a cap, also water or water or juice (gatorade works), and a snack. If it's on rainy season maybe a plastic coat.. you never know! it's been raining a bit in the afternoons. Like once or twice a week.

There is an atm machine there, restaurant, book store, photo-shop, bathrooms.. even icecream! But only in Uxmal, the small sites are only to see and walk in.

Enjoy Your TRIP!!!
    Zara

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines