Mérida Travel Answers

change location

Merida Info

by Saturday28 Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Hi: I am planing to be in Merida very soon,if anyone has any information
about the following I would be very grateful. I am looking for an apartment for
two for about 6 months.I would appreciate any information about safety at this
time,and about crime (Heard there are currently violent demonstrations at the
University)and any other information that you think maybe useful. Thanks, regards

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • luis.ydler's Profile Photo

Re: Merida Info

by luis.ydler Online Now Jul 18, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Merida isn't a violent city. It's cozy, receptive and has many of the most beautiful landscapes in the country. It keeps most of its traditions alive, it's small but growing rapidly because of the boost it's receiving from many sides. Recent demonstrations were caused by the assassination of a ULA student during a protest. It sparked a wave of university riots throughout the Venezuelan Andes. However, it is not common to see things like this happening therearound.

Merida doesn't have such a high crime rate as central cities do, though precaution is necessary: you never know!

I am sure you can find an apartment there, prices vary so it'd be helpful to know what your budget is.

Luis Fran Ydler

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Merida Info

by Saturday28 Online Now Jul 19, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hi: Firstly please let me say a big thank you, the information you gave was
    really a big help. My son is trying to transfer to the University,that is the reason why I was so worried about the unrest at the University. I am looking for an apartment for two, an average standard apartment, with two rooms,nothing luxurious, but, in a quiet area.I am now trying to obtain prices to get a sense of
    cost there,then I will be able to conclude. Also do you know if the area is classified as a dengue area (area with many reported cases). Once again my sincere
    thanks for your kind help.

by luis.ydler Online Now Jul 21, 2008 at 7:15 PM

As of May 2008, there were around 1800 reported cases of dengue in Merida state. This put it among the most affected states.
    According to news I've heard, renting a place in Merida costs around 1,300 BsF or some US$ 600.
    It might be hard to find something while not being here; because of Merida's fame as a tourist hotspot, people tend to rent their houses or apartments temporarily to tourists leaving only a few options available. It doesn't mean you couldn't get one. Most people will be interested in dealing with you on a six-month basis, I'm sure.

;-)

Luis Fran Ydler

• Re: Merida Info

by Saturday28 Online Now Jul 22, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Once again ,a very big thank you. Your information will certainly help in
    my decision making. Again my thanks for the valuable information provided.

by luis.ydler Online Now Jul 22, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Merida is a great place! Discover it and enjoy it!

Success!

Luis F Ydler

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mérida