Mendocino Travel Answers

change location
ylisa's Profile Photo

going up the California coast

by ylisa Online Now Jun 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Thinking about going up the coast from San Francisco , Not even sure how far up or where to go . Any suggested stops????? ,places to stay ??????? Looking for nice picturesque accommodations. I gone to Napa so not looking to stop there

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • mac_man's Profile Photo

Re: going up the California coast

by mac_man Online Now Jun 11, 2007 at 5:09 PM

You can also try going down the coast on the PCH from SF. Very picturesque and many lovely stops on the way down. The drive down is breathtaking. Here are a few stops along the way: Half Moon Bay (The Ritz Carlton there has a fabulous vista), Santa Cruz (Has an old Fort Lauderdale spring break feel to it with an amusement park on the beach), Capitola (wonderful photogenic beach town), Monterey (A quaint seaside city), Pebble Beach (Where the rich play golf and live in castles with an ocean view) and don't miss Carmel (cafes and shopping like a European town). I hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JonoMan's Profile Photo

by JonoMan Online Now Jun 11, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Mendocino was a quaint town, but will get boring after 10 minutes.

I would either:

Drive to Stinsons Beach, which is a 1 hour gorgeous drive North

or

Drive to Monterey, passing through Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. Depending how far you want to go, you can drive even further South along the Pacific Coast Highway.

• ylisa's Profile Photo

by ylisa Online Now Jun 12, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for the info .Would you suggest staying in STinson beach over mendocino ???. Or staying in mendocino and taking the drive up ????? Does anyone know how long it will take me to get to Lake Tahoe . It seems like at least 5 hours or more??????? ...by the way i've gone down the PCH it was unbelievable

• JonoMan's Profile Photo

by JonoMan Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 12:02 AM

You're welcome!

Ummm...I don't know about spending the night at Stinson's Beach because it really isn't far from San Francisco and besides the beach, I'm not sure what else there is to do there.

I was in Mendocino in December, so maybe it's more appealing during the summer, but I was kind of disappointed in the actual town. Driving through the Redwoods was a cool expierence though. I know more about traveling South of SF, rather than North.

Another day trip you could take in addition to Stinsons Beach would be Mount Tamalpais. It's a really nice picturesque hike to the very top.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

by trvlrtom Online Now Jun 13, 2007 at 8:30 PM

You could do a nice loop up highway 1 to Mendocino, then drive inland to highway 101 and take that back to SF. It is a long drive, but you would have the fabulous coastal views along Marin, Sonoma and Mendocino counties, and be able to check out some wineries on the way back. Try some in the Andersone valley - yes, it is worth the drive.

• ylisa's Profile Photo

Re: going up the California coast...driving question also

by ylisa Online Now Jun 14, 2007 at 1:40 PM

thanks guys . Anyone know how the drive from mendocino to Tahoe is????????? how long it is???

• horsinround2's Profile Photo

by horsinround2 Online Now Jun 18, 2007 at 8:43 PM

It takes a good six hours to get from Mendocino to Tahoe. More if you get carsick. You mentioned something about staying at Stinson Beach, are you interested in camping? If so, Makerricher(sp?) State Park about one mile north of Fort Bragg is great. I've got the links on my Fort Bragg page - not sure how easy/difficult it would be to get a reservation during the summer since we always went in September. I second the idea on driving through Anderson Valley - great little middle of nowhere valley that hasn't changed much at all in the past 100 years and some pretty good wine too. It's in my tips, but just to make sure you're aware... never let your gas tank get below 1/4. Gas stations are few and far between and most of them are closed by 9pm.
    Have fun! -Melissa

• ylisa's Profile Photo

by ylisa Online Now Jun 19, 2007 at 8:10 PM

THANKS!!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines