Mendocino Travel Answers

change location

Abalone diving

by LouMan32 Online Now Nov 16, 2004 at 6:30 PM

I will be in Mendocino for Thanksgiving week and want to do some ab diving. Dove there about 10 years ago. Dove off the Headlands and had a great day there. Looking for other areas with access to dive. How is the bottom fishing? Looking to take my teenage boys fishing while there. Had dinner at Cafe Beaujolais and loved it. Any recomendations for breakfast? Thanks to you all. Looking forward to driving up the Coast! Louie

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Re: Abalone diving

by mydreamquest Online Now Nov 16, 2004 at 8:58 PM

Mendocino's a great peaceful place to mellow out at. I recommend abalone diving. To get to the good ones, I went to Van Damme State park and off the shore, the abalones are hard to find unless you are very atheletic and hold your breath a long time and go very deep. But if you're there, you'll notice a mini island, maybe 1 km out in the ocean, if you go there, the abalone are aplenty. But remember you'll need a license which you can purchase at any grocery store, it's illegal to take any abalone less than 7 inches width, and you are limited to taking only 5 I think. Enjoy! There are a few nice breakfast places if you walk around that little town area. But don't wake up before 8am, nothing is open!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines