Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Uptown court (Lauderdale courts)

by sanmas Online Now Aug 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Is the area of Uptown courts or previously known as lauderdale courts a safe area in memphis I am visiting from UK

• NelsonMa's Profile Photo

Memphis Hotel near Beale St

by NelsonMa Online Now Jul 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM

I was booked at the Westin - Beale St but realized today there is no pool. Family of 4 with 17 and 20 yr old boys. Any suggestion on a different hotel within safe walking distance near the action? I'm thinking of Holiday Inn Select or Doubletree on Union Dr. Would these be OK to walk a few blocks back from Beale St in the evening?

1 Answer Jul 23, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    • From a Londoner UK

by Ladywriter1968 Online Now May 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I dont know if my last text appeared or not, cant find it. I considered visiting memphis but now reading about the crime, some one asked Sun records could they walk around there at night, their reply, not unless you have a hang gun. most of us Londoners dont even own a gun, let alone knowing how to even us or load one up. reading about Graceland also being unsafe I was taken back. When I visited Florida years ago Orlando it was safe there and the part we were in crime seemed very low. about the same as London I guess. If Memphis is heavily policed as I read I would have thought it to be safe then, unless certain roads are left out. We have beggers and drug addicts in London but they are not running around with guns and rarely do we get shootings here. I wanted to visit memphis some time for the music. Now I feel that I would be extremely naive going there not knowing what to expect.

9 Answers May 21, 2015 at 11:18 PM
    • Are the trolleys currently running?

by Beckien Online Now May 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM

We are heading to Memphis May 26th thru the 30th. We are staying in the medical district and were hoping to take the trolley to town and back. But I heard the trolleys aren't running now? Yes? No? Thanks!

6 Answers May 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    • Memphis - Best Music Museum?

by mommio92 Online Now May 13, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Hi! Will be in Memphis for a day and a half in June. Which music museum is the best, Sun Records, Stax Museum, or Rock 'n Soul Museum? Will probably only have time for one. Also, is the Art Museum a must-see? Not really interested in Graceland, but will do Beale Street. Are staying at the Peabody with the ducks! Thanks!

5 Answers May 20, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    • BLUEREACTO's Profile Photo

by BLUEREACTO Online Now Mar 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM

3 Answers Mar 16, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    • Handicap Access

by ShannonF2 Online Now Jan 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Is Beale street wheel chair friendly? Is the trolly?

4 Answers Jan 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM
    • llauraa's Profile Photo

Good places to stay in Memphis

by llauraa Online Now Jan 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Hi all, 2 of us coming to Memphis 1 April 15 for 2 or 3 nights. Want to be close to downtown and either walking distance or short cab to Beale Street so we can do the Beale St music thing. Budget is up to 150-200 USD prepared to go higher if necessary given its close to Easter so we have room to move on $$. Most importantly though want to know good areas to stay re: convenience to attractions (won't have a car) and safety / not too rowdy

We were considering accommodation in North Belvedere Blvd. Is this a good area to stay?
      Recommendations and also tips on places to go for live music and good eats highly appreciated

3 Answers Jan 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM
    • bardenny's Profile Photo

Getting around

by bardenny Online Now Dec 22, 2014 at 12:25 AM

its a first trip to memphis staying at the double tree with the uk fan club but I feel like the hotel is quite a long way from graceland. Is it expensive to get taxis and is there adequate public transport should we require it?

4 Answers Dec 22, 2014 at 5:22 AM
    • Safe Community.

by bkendall40 Online Now Nov 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Thinking about locating in Memphis is the Southwind community a safe neighborhood? Looking on line the homes are beautiful the St Jude tournaments is played on golf course.

1 Answer Nov 18, 2014 at 2:40 AM
    • safe aera in buying a home is Southwind a reasonable aera

by bkendall40 Online Now Nov 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Is the sowuthwind aeria a safe to buy a home

1 Answer Nov 18, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    • safe aera in buying a home is Southwind a reasonable aera

by bkendall40 Online Now Nov 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Is the sowuthwind aeria a safe to buy a home

• Memphis to New Orleans

by tucker123 Online Now Nov 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM

As part of our holiday we are driving from Memphis to New Orleans with 2 nights to stop en route. Can anyone recommend a good/scenic route with places to visit/stay en route please?

1 Answer Nov 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    • January weather

by tucker123 Online Now Nov 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM

We are visiting memphis from the uk in January, what do you suggest we pack for clothing? What is the weather like?

3 Answers Nov 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    • annetay's Profile Photo

Is it easy and quick to find a cab at the AMTRAK station in Memphis?

by annetay Online Now Sep 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM

We are staying at Holiday Inn, 160 Union ave.

We get in on AMTRAK at 10 pm at night. I am quite scared about getting a cab, quickly, to the Holiday Inn, and not appearing as vulnerable we are, two elderly foreign tourists, with baggage. Anyone caught a cab, late at night, from the station?

5 Answers Sep 3, 2014 at 2:30 AM
    • annetay's Profile Photo

What about the car park at Gracelands?

by annetay Online Now Sep 2, 2014 at 2:15 AM

we were intending to drive down in our rental car, do the tour, leaving our car (with baggage in boot) in the car park, then drive on to our next destination. Is there a secure car park for tourist cars?

3 Answers Sep 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    • Unsafe intersections / streets in Memphis

by sladamo Online Now Aug 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Hi. We're coming to Memphis in October for a wedding and staying at the Econo Lodge downtown to save some bucks. Our friends are staying at the Peabody which is only 0.4 blocks away. Should we be worried about staying at the Econo Lodge? Are there specific intersections or areas (west of X and south of Y) that we should be careful to avoid? We will be walking around at night to some extent since they'll be doing some bar hopping after the reception on Beale street, and we'll have to make it back to our hotel somehow.

Never been to Memphis before, but we're from Chicago, so we know about "dangers" of big cities. But if there's some specific, easy advice you can give about the hotel or specific intersections, that'd be really helpful.

1 Answer Aug 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    • Looking for suggestions

by sherinskin Online Now Aug 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I have 2 nights and one full day to enjoy Memphis. I will be staying at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown hotel.....If I was your Aunt, how would you suggest I enjoy my time. I will be alone and I understand safety might be an issue.
      Thanks -

9 Answers Aug 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    • Moving to Memphis for college

by Amatseu Online Now Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Hi! I'm moving to Memphis for college (Memphis College of Art) and I use a bicycle for transportation. I need a job to continue attending school and have seen on google maps there are tons around that area. However, what areas should I avoid? I'm assuming that if it's not safe to walk, it's not safe to bike. I'm from St. Louis so I've seen my fair share of criminal activity but even so, I'm a little nervous about finding myself lost in the wrong place. Got any advice?

1 Answer Jul 10, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    • Cool Area to Hang

by TamSav Online Now Jul 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Where's the best place to hang out and get out and walk around in Memphis besides Beale St. Done It Already. Thanks. Tam

4 Answers Jul 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    • JohanW's Profile Photo

Walk to Memphis central station early morning

by JohanW Online Now Jun 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I´m planning to travel with Amtrak 06.50 AM this summer (I´m going to New Orleans). The hotel is just a few blocks from the central station. Maybe 15 minutes walk.

Is it safe to walk to in these parts of the city an early morning at 6 AM? Or should I take a cab?

At this time of day in a city, sometimes strange people are awake... Except strange people like me ;)

4 Answers Jun 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    • Safe hotel near Memphis on I-140 for a Uhaul and car carrier.

by movingeast Online Now Apr 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Hello, I am moving form CA to Maryland and will be staying near the Memphis area and need a Hotel off I-40 with a SAFE large parking lot for my 16 Foot moving truck plus small car carrier carrying my car. Any suggestions?

1 Answer Apr 21, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    • Any safe affordable hotels close to UT Medical

by ShotInMemphis Online Now Apr 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Spending a week at UT Dental, 875 Union Ave. Need a hotel ideally within walking distance, but most say no such hotel exists in that area. Suggestions?

1 Answer Apr 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    • transportation from Knoxville to Memphis

by snap7c1 Online Now Apr 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM

what is the best way to get tthere?

2 Answers Apr 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    • arriving at Greyhound station

by dmt49 Online Now Apr 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Is there shuttle service available to downtown hotels?

2 Answers Apr 2, 2014 at 4:53 AM
    • crossing from memphis to arkansas without a car?

by ernestine_d Online Now Mar 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM

i would like to go to arkansas just for the trhill of it, any idea where or how to cross the river from memphis on foot or for cheap and quick? anything fun to see on the other side? how much for a taxi ride back and forth(approx)

5 Answers Mar 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    • chipper99's Profile Photo

Taxi to Graceland

by chipper99 Online Now Mar 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Hi. Silly question but trying to price everything up. How much would a taxi cost from downtown Memphis to Graceland?

2 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Graceland Visit

by chipper99 Online Now Mar 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Hi. Visiting next month and wondering if I'm better to book my tickets online or will it be ok to just turn up and get the tour that we want, Platinum, without waiting too long? I think if I book online I can choose the time I want. Any advice is welcome.
      Thanks in advance.

1 Answer Mar 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    • Embassy Suites - safe area?

by briggskc Online Now Feb 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I've heard to be careful where we stay around Memphis. Does anyone know if the Embassy Suites in East Memphis is a safe place to stay with my family? Thanks in advance

1 Answer Feb 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Double Deuce

by chipper99 Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Hi, does anyone know if the Double Deuce bar is still open in Memphis?

2 Answers Feb 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM