Memphis Travel Answers

change location
bzulu67's Profile Photo

Travel between Memphis and New Orleans. Amtrak train versis Greyhound bus.

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Hi all,

Travelling Friday 6th September from Memphis to New Orleans. The Amtrak train departs Memphis at 6:50 am and arrives New Orleans at 3:32 pm. It is an 8 hours 42 minutes journey and costs $58. The Greyhound bus departs Memphis at 9:30 am and arrives New Orleans at 8:30 pm. It is an 11 hours journey and costs $67.50. I'm undecided which one to go for, train leaves a bit early, but the bus gets there a bit late. Has anyone done this journey or can you give me the pros and cons for each? Where does the Greyhound bus leave from in Memphis and where does it arrive at in New Orleans. Similarly the Amtrak train, as I need to choose hotels that are fairly convenient.

Many thanks, Keith

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Travel between Memphis and New Orleans. Amtrak train versis Greyhound bus.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I'd always prefer the train over the bus. You never know how traffic is going to be, if you're going to encounter any road word, accidents, etc. And don't forget waiting for people to get back on the bus during one of the many food/bathrooms stops. You're likely to arrive in New Orleans later than you plan.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Agreed, the train is the way to go, particularly considering it is cheaper. The train is vastly more comfortable. One caveat about that 8 hours and 42 minutes--Amtrak trains (outside the northeast US) are frequently very delayed, so it might be considerably longer than the scheduled time. But I would still expect to get there faster than the bus.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Greyhound terminal in Memphis 3033 Airways Blvd. Amtrak station in Memphis 545 South Main Amtrak and Greyhound share the same address station/terminal in New Orleans 1001 Loyola Union Passenger Terminal

2 members found this helpful

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The train is much more comfortable. You can get up and walk around and there is usually food available. For a trip of that length, you'd be better off on the train.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'd vote for the train too, every time. Book your tickets as early as possible, because Amtrak fares can rise as departure nears and/or demand increases.

I did a 4-hour journey from Iowa City>Chicago by Megabus (they don't run your route, but their buses are super-nice, imo). That was ok, but any longer would have been a real strain...the bus was packed, there was only one toilet (downstairs) etc etc.

• bzulu67's Profile Photo

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thank you all, you have convinced me that the Amtrak train is the way to go, even though it is an early morning arise from bed. The fares have started to rise - $4 in the last two weeks, better get it booked up. I did check the Megabus and your correct Leics, they don't run on this route. I'm using Megabus for the NY to Toronto journey, can't book this yet as the timetable and schedules only go up to April.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I was impressed by Megabus even though I had a grouchy driver (I complained when I got home, in my best formal-English writing, and was also very impressed by the response I got). I didn't use the wifi, but other people were....but I didn't use the loo either. :-)

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

travelmad478 wrote:

Agreed, the train is the way to go, particularly considering it is cheaper. The train is vastly more comfortable. One caveat about that 8 hours and 42 minutes--Amtrak trains (outside the northeast US) are frequently very delayed, so it might be considerably longer than the scheduled time. But I would still expect to get there faster than the bus.

This depends quite a lot on the specific route.  In the USA, the freight traffic tends to move east-west while the old IC route this train uses is North-South.

Today's train arrived 35 minutes early in New Orleans.

Tomorrow?  Could be anyone's guess.  But on time performance for the city of New Orleans last year and this year has been 85.5%.

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Interesting statistics. Thank you.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM

For those that don't know how to do this, you go to the Amtrak web site, pull down the tab thing that says Routes, and towards the bottom of the list you will see "Historical On-Time Performance".

You can get on-time performance a few hours in the past by clicking the one in the upper left area that says "Status" (Next to Tickets). You then enter the date, and the origin and destination cities (or train number if you know that). It won't show today's City of New Orleans any more as of a few hours ago but you can get the estimated one for tomorrow. That one looks pretty good too.

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM

You know your stuff. Thank you so much.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

You may want to rummage around a bit on the Amtrak web site. You'll find that the City of New Orleans and the Texas Eagle have a unique style of dining car with regional cooking in it. While traveling food is always more expensive than taking your own food on the train with you, it might be worthwhile to take a look at what it offers. I don't live anywhere near there so I have never actually seen what they cook on that car.

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thank you for that information.

• PeteJC's Profile Photo

by PeteJC Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Here is some information from our recent trip: forum.virtualtourist.com/Mem...

I highly recommend the train. It's quieter than I thought it would and the seats are very roomy and comfortable with lots of head, shoulder and leg room. The food on the train was also very good and the service was excellent. Plus although you have to steady yourself while the train is moving you can move around on the train freely. Bring a pillow and a small blanket and you can nap like your in your recliner at home without bothering the passengers around you. Your seat will also have an electrical outlet to keep your devices charges during your trip. I don't think a bus trip can compete with the comfort and convenience of Amtrak.

by bzulu67 Online Now Apr 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Sorry I'm late in replying, I've just 'picked-up' your info. I have booked the Amtrak train and paid $49.30, which seems to me to be a very good price. I don't think I will be napping, I like to see what's going on and taking in the scenery. Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated.

• Re: Travel between Memphis and New Orleans. Amtrak train versis Greyhound bus.

by sol-uk Online Now May 2, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Travelled Memphis to New Orleans by Megabus a good week ago, it took us 8 hours to get there. Great service, the bus was half empty, so many seats for you to choose from. Paid about $34 dollars but just because of Easter I guess, usually it's cheaper. The price dropped to 17$ a couple of days before the ride. Wifi working well, had 1 half hour stop to relax and have some food, normal people on board, felt safe.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines