Melk Travel Answers

change location
ileanardz's Profile Photo

Getting Melk from Vienna

by ileanardz Online Now Jan 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Hi VT's!

One more time asking for your help,
I am goint to Melk netx month. As my flight arrive in Vienna, I have been adviced to take the CAT then get Westbahouf from Wienn Mitte (u-bahn U3)and there take the train to Melk.

My question is: Should I book now the train? Or how risk can be wait and buy there?

If you think I should but it now, could someone explain HOW by the OEBB site.

Thanks in advance!

I have read that the stations are in demolition, it would be great if somene explain me how this may affect my trip.

Thank you very much.

Ile

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Re: Getting Melk from Vienna

by nicolaitan Online Now Jan 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM

we recently did a similar trip altho to salzburg. don't take the cat which is expensive. directly in front of the terminal baggage pickup exit are busses which go to your train station with a brief stop at another along the way. cheap, easy, i think only 6 Eu pp.

just walk into the train station from the bus stop ( a bit of a hike because of construction but nobody else will get you any closer ) and buy your tickets on the spot just like we did. no hassle, easier than dealing with the oebb website. second class, no significant difference from first.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Jan 25, 2010 at 4:23 AM

1)Forget about the CAT, who-ever advised you about that did not think a lot about it! CAT makes sense only IF you stay at the Hilton am Stadtpark, for the rest of Vienna it is a waste of money !
    As explaned above, take the bus that is going directely to Westbahnhof, leaving in front of the airport every half hour for 6 euros one way !
    Some days ago they solved some part of the chaos there, the bus is stopping now in front of the station and it is easy to enter, but might stillbe confusing to find the ticket-machines.Buy the ticket there in a machine, that will accept your Creditcard, ATM or papermoney & coins and gives you back the change !
    2)Trains that stop in Melk are very slow trains and maybe you have to change in St.Pölten, so resevation and booking in the internet does NOT make sense, there will normally be also lots of seats available !
    Melk in February means that you can enter the innercourt of the monastery, that is a school as well, the museum might be closed except for a guided tour maybe once a day. In any case you can enter the monastery-church through a side-entrance, where you can see a part of the beautiful interior through a giant glass-wall.
    This entrance is on the left corner of the last innercourt, opposite of the place, where you enter the museum through a staircase.
    ---
    guided tours in winter: 11.00am + 02.00pm
    stiftmelk.at/englisch/index....

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Jan 25, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I had a look at the Westbahnhof today :
    The airport-bus will take you within 45 min from the airport to this station.
    You get out of the bus in front of the station and walk towards and into the old building, there is a covered path and about 30 single steps upwards without lift. You will get to the train-tracks ending there and have to walk to the left in order to find the ticketmachines.
    ---
    www.oebb.at
    direct trains are leaving each hour mostly at 14 min after the full hour !
    always at 44 min after the full hour you have a train to Melk as well, but have to change in St. Pölten.

• ileanardz's Profile Photo

by ileanardz Online Now Mar 24, 2010 at 6:39 AM

My dear VT's:

I just getting back home from Melk & Vienna Austria.
    And I want to thank you all for the great help you gave.

I was able to get Melk without problems.
    Everything was great!

And this has been teh best trip of my life (untill today, because I hope so many are coming...)

=)

Thanks!

Ileana

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines