Melk Travel Answers

change location

Where is the location of the KZ Melk

by stapler4 Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 7:22 AM

Hi there!

I've searched everywhere on this site for even a mention of the Konzentrationlager Melk and nothing appears. I'd like to visit the site of my grandfather's death and my father's KZ camp. Can anyone provide with information on how to get to the location of the former KZ Melk.
Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • WStat's Profile Photo

Re: Where is the location of the KZ Melk

by WStat Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 7:40 AM

there is a memorial at the site of the former Nazi-concentration camp. Its address is:
    Gedenkstätte Melk, Schießstadtweg, opening hours Thu-Sun 10am-2pm, or call Mrs Blak, +43 (2752) 51888.
    There are 2 pictures of the memorial at http://www.mkoe.at/
    unfortunately the website seems to be available only in german

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • WStat's Profile Photo

by WStat Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Hi,
    see some more details at http://tinyurl.com/6ywb79, where you will find also the URL of the city of Melk.
    Greetings from Vienna!

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Jul 5, 2008 at 8:20 AM

If you use the Google search engine, type: "mkoe.at" in the search block. When the link comes up, simply click "translate this page. You will have the web page in English. Gary

• Re: Where is the location of the KZ Melk

by suiram Online Now Jul 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM

My grandfather lies there too, and we have visited regularly. You walk "up" along the Donau from the Stift and take left up a steep hill. You walk turning right around a "camp" (beleive it was a military camp after the war), and then right down hill again after passing it. Just when you start downhill, there is a gate in the fence to your right, and behing it a small crematorium, where you will find all the memorials. I beleive the adress given by the former reply is correct. A lady living nearby used to have the key.

MMG, Norway

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines