Melk Travel Answers

change location

day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by irismark Online Now Aug 22, 2005 at 9:46 PM

I would like to have a day trip to Melk from Vienna. May I know how to go there and how far away from Vienna? Or any other suburban which is attractive to go like Hallstatt in Salzburg?? Kindly advise. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • WStat's Profile Photo

RE: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by WStat Online Now Aug 22, 2005 at 11:32 PM

Hi again !

It is rather easy to get from Vienna to Melk (much easyer than to Hallstatt from Salzburg)!
    There are trasins practically every hour, distance is 85km, travelling time 75 minutes. Example: train 08:03 from Vie Westbahnhof, arriving Melk 09:16. There is a "Freizeit-ticket" reduced by about 50% (VIE-Melk-VIE EUR 29,-)
    Dont hesitate to ask, if you have another questions re Vienna etc!
    Greetings

WStat, Vienna

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by irismark Online Now Aug 22, 2005 at 11:38 PM

Dear Wstat

Thanks for your valuable advice.

I would like to know any other suburban area i can go in Vienna? As 18 Sept is Sunday, I think many places are closed in Vienna. I will be better to travel in the suburban area. Kindly advise. Thanks.

• WStat's Profile Photo

RE: RE: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by WStat Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 12:28 AM

Hi Iris !

There`s a lot, you can do even on Sundays in Vienna. Many of the cultural highlights are accessible , not all museums are closed (Schoenbrunn-Castle for instance is open) Have a look at the many choices, you may select from, at
    aboutvienna.org/sights/sight...
    There are in fact some interesting areas in Lower Austria (area around Vienna), you can reach by car or train. Some recommendable tours and places for selection at viennasightseeingtours.com/E...
    If you decide to go outside Vianna, Melk and the river Danube-valley may be a good choice, all the other places are rather complicated to reach, as long as you dont take a readymade tour or rent a car!
    Greetings
    WStat

• WStat's Profile Photo

by WStat Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 4:52 AM

Iris,

I forgot to mention, that a visit in Melk could easily be done as a stopover during your trip from Vienna to Salzburg. Most of the Vienna-Salzburg trains (find out to be sure regarding the train, you want to take) will stop in Melk !

Rgds

WStat

by irismark Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 6:42 AM

Dear Wstat

Many thanks for your valuable information.

It is really very useful.

Thanks a lot:>

by irismark Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 6:55 AM

Hi WStat

Can I get the location map of Melk at the train station in Melk upon arrival? Kindly advise. Thanks.

• WStat's Profile Photo

by WStat Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 9:13 AM

Iris,

I`m not sure, whether you can get a Melk-map at the train station; however, you can find (and possibly print out) a very useful map at
    tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en,SC...
    Another, very good one, at
    ams.or.at/noe/rgsen/plan/pla...
    (The word "Bahnhof" on the plans base means "station", where you arrive; the word "Benediktinerstift" marks the worldfamous Baroque-monastery)

Greetings to HKG !

WStat

by irismark Online Now Aug 23, 2005 at 7:41 PM

Hi WStat

Many thanks :>

You're so great, the information provided are excellent!!!!!

Many thanks.

by camelracer Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 1:00 AM

If you plan a trip to Melk- please carefully check train schedule. Contrary to info by a prior poster, many trains on Vienna -Salzburg line do not stop in Melk. Rather you must transfer in St. Polten to a local train for Melk.
    Also look at www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

This site will provide information on a Combi- ticket for train to Melk . admissions- boat ride on the Danube - Melk to Krems- and train back to Vienna- 39 euros.
    This makes for a very nice day and a varied look at this region.

• WStat's Profile Photo

by WStat Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 2:56 AM

Hi, Iris !

To make a long story short: camelracer is just partly right, but the following trains WILL stop in Melk!
    For your plan, for instance:
    E5914, leaving Vienna at 08:03 (Melk arr at 09:16)
    (Earlyer E1522 dep VIE 06:18, arr Melk 07:47)
    R2074 dep Melk to Amstetten (next bigger city) at 16:48, arr 17:24(earlyer:E1620 at 15:19/arr Amst.15:48)
    IC740 dep Amstetten 17:53, arr Salzbg 19:52
    (Earlyer:IC 646 dep Amst 15:52, arr Szbg 17:52)
    As already mentioned, make sure when buying your ticket, that your itinerary is well understood, to avoid any misunderstandings, but I`m pretty sure, that you won`t have any problems!Further queries welcome!

Greetings

WStat

• RE: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by vaioy Online Now Jul 19, 2006 at 1:50 PM

There are daily frequent trains from Vienna WestBahnhoff station. Takes about 1 hr. to reach Melk. Cost about Euro 14.00 one-way.

Charles

• Re: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by soverdi Online Now Mar 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Hello! I am plannng a trip to Vienna then on to Salburg. I want to see Melk, but I don't want to lug around my luggage if I have to stopover. So, I am thinking of just going back to Vienna for the night, then just go to Salsburg the next day.

Is there a better way to do this ?

• WStat's Profile Photo

Re: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by WStat Online Now Mar 6, 2008 at 3:28 AM

As Melk with its many interesting sights lies smack on the road from Vienna to Salzburg, the better way would be to take your lugagge with you and to overnight at the very nice Melk Youth Hostel.
    Have a look at their site at http://melk.noejhw.at/
    It is in german only, but they will understand the booking-form also in English!
    It is cheap (less than EUR 15,-) and comfortable
    Have a good trip !
    Willy

by soverdi Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Thank you! or Danke (?)

It will be a family trip, 4 of us. So, I am also considering renting a car from Geneva or Zurich, then drive all the way to Vienna, with stops along the way, of course, then back. It will save me tremendous amount of money.

Is driving AND PARKING easy enough in Austria and Switzerland ?

I plan to visit Vienna-Melk-Salburg and vicinity. Possibly Munich too since it is close to Salzurg..........plus Hitler's Eagle's Nest. Is it worth to visit ? I read that there is only a restaurant there now.

Sorry for the numerous questions.

by soverdi Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Another question: Do these Youth Hostels take any age level ? I am middle aged with a youthful heart ;-)

• WStat's Profile Photo

Re: day trip to Melk from Vienna/suburban area

by WStat Online Now Mar 7, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Hi,
    the hostel I mentioned in Melk does take any age-group for sure; the same applies to Vienna, but try to make a reservation by phone or e-mail, as Vienna is rather well visited in springtime, just to be on the safe side !
    As to the parking-question: it is no problem in the countryside, i.e. in Melk. In Switzerland there is a rather severe parking-problem, due to the many traffic-restricted areas; parking is generally possible only in the many garages (not cheap, but safe). Zurich-Vienna is about 800kms, not all the way on highways, but should be possible in one day. Traffic is heavy, but Vienna-Munich, Munich-Feldkirch are highways and driving easy.
    As to the Eagles Nest: skip it, there are much more interesting places than the old Nazi-relics here in Austria !

Have a good and safe trip!
    Greetings from Vienna Willy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines