Melbourne Travel Answers

change location

Travelling for the Boxing Day Test Match...

by stealthcrawler Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm travelling alone from New York to watch the Boxing Day Test between Australia and India. I'll be rooting for the Indian team and ofcourse great cricket :). Planning to visit for about 9-10 days.
Looking to meet some like minded people who might be going for the game and ofcourse, hanging out after. This is the first time I'll be travelling to Australia and the first time I'll be travelling alone too. Any pointers as to what one could do/not do/see/visit while in Melbourne, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
-V

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling for the Boxing Day Test Match...

by leon.partsi Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Hey,

No worries at all, Australia is very friendly. You'll have no problem meeting like-minded people either in a hostel (assuming you stay in a hostel and not in a hotel) or at a bar which plays sports. The easiest way to find a bar playing sports is to follow your ears to the cheering locals. Otherwise, the Turf Bar in the city is a biggest and best sports bar we have:
    http://www.turfbar.com.au/

Please don't drink Victoria Bitter - it's a lousy beer and Melbournians everywhere are ashamed. Drink Carlton Draught or Blue Tongue for a local touch. The turf bar has about 30 other beers, all pretty good.

Outside of cricket, you could check out some of the cooler bars in my reviews for Melbourne
    "Melbourne - The Place to Be" - Melbourne by leon.partsi
    And if you let me know what days you're coming in I'll show you around.

Have a great time!

Cheers,
    Leon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Good reply from Leon.
    However, I would recommend that you book accommodation asap. There will be a shortage because of the season and cricket test.
    Google hostels Melbourne.

• Re: Travelling for the Boxing Day Test Match...

by stealthcrawler Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. I had another question. Should I book a hostel/hotel near the stadium or somewhere else in the city...considering that I'll want to check out other places after the day's play.

Thanks Leon for the suggestions on Beers. I think I'll still try the Victoria Bitter just to see what you guys hate so much :).

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I'd book my hostel/hotel near the St Kilda area. It's a great spot and it's close enough to the stadium that you won't break your back getting there.

St Kilda is nice and central and on the beach, plus there are two hostels right near each other which both have a great crowd:
    X-Base
    booking.com/hotel/au/base-ba...

Coffee Palace Backpackers
    coffeepalacebackpackers.com....

Urgh - he's going to try a VB. Someone get him a mop and a bucket.

Cheers,
    Leon

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM

First up, don't take any notice of Leon - Victoria Bitter is great - LOL

Apart from the obvious cricket we don't know what interests you. After the cricket is over (no pun intended) I'd strongly suggest a tour of the MCG and get to the mcc.org.au/About%20the%20MCC... - the last time I was there I could have stayed all day as there is so much to see. One of the staff told of an Indian cricket lover who took his wife along - she promptly sat in a seat and fell asleep ALL DAY while he pottered around. They both had to be kicked out at closing time.

The Windsor Hotel cricketers bar is a must do. If you like old steam trains, head to Puffing Billy (check out my Belgrave page). As has been suggested, book ahead for accom - try www.wotif.com and see what appeals price wise.

Next - there is a little chant that you must learn - come on Aussie, come on - LOL

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Dec 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Melbourne is great! I was there this past year at that time. There is a fair amount to do on my travel page. The cricket was all in another city for the play offs at that time. Many places are closed for the holiday. One thing I had wanted to do, but skipped because the person I was with didn't want to, was to go to the glass box. She was not into the heights.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines