Melbourne Travel Answers

change location
lgk1984's Profile Photo

Shared/Rented Apartments

by lgk1984 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Hi everyone. Due to arrive in Melbourne on the 06th May 2013 with my g/f. For the first couple of nights we are going to stay in a hotel. We're currently doing our research via gumtree for apartments we could possibly rent. We've been given locations such as flinders st, collins st, bourke st etc... We will both be getting jobs to support our stay. Can anybody recommend the best locations to stay for value for money? As an estimate we would be looking to pay between $200 - $300. Are there any other sites people could recommend?

Thanks again VT

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Shared/Rented Apartments

by balhannah Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

This site covers Australia wide
    http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I used these guys - http://www.runproperty.com.au/ for my rental while I was there. They were great to work with.

• Grevil's Profile Photo

by Grevil Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Does the "$200-300" mean per week? Was wondering how long you intend to stay? If it is long-term you may do better with an unfurnished flat. There will be plenty more of those to choose from.

Do you think you will be working in the city centre?
    Suburbs close to the city such as St. Kilda, Elwood, Carlton, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Parkville, Brunswick, Richmond, Prahran, etc. are in most cases handy to shops and many restaurants, cafes, clubs, and have good public transport links to the city centre. You could also try places like South Melb. and Docklands but they might be more expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• lgk1984's Profile Photo

by lgk1984 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Yes it means $200 - $300 per week. We are on a 1 year working holiday visa. Our plan is to stay in Melbourne for Initially 6 months. We've been advised by a few people that St Kilda is a good area. We're aiming to be working in the city and are currently applying for jobs NOW!

• Grevil's Profile Photo

by Grevil Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

You would probably get a furnished Studio or "bed-sitter" for that sort of money. The link below was for one in Flinders Street city but only an area of 15 square metres.

domain.com.au/Property/For-R...

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

by ATXtraveler Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Do some due diligence with a couple of the properties. I ended up getting a steal of a deal in Toorak for a "bed-sitting" situation for an Australian expat who happened to be wanting to rent his place out for one year. I ended up in a sweet condo for a 12 month term at 300 a week.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines