Medina Travel Answers

change location

plane from mecca to medina

by mahesamir Online Now Dec 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

do pilgrims fly plane from mecca to medina,what is the distance.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • June.b's Profile Photo

Re: plane from mecca to medina

by June.b Online Now Dec 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I think this is your follow-up question on the Mecca forum.

Makkah Mukarramah to Madinah Munawarrah is about 550 - 600kms apart and would take approximately 4 - 6 hours by car or bus, and 1 hour by plane from Jeddah airport -- no airport in Makkah. And Jeddah is less than an hour away by land transport from/to Makkah. If you need more info., don't hesitate to ask.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Dec 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Pilgrims usually take the bus from Mecca to Medina. As it's a holy journey, they prefer experiencing more on the road. By plane, you save time for sure, but you miss the chance of following the route when Prophet Muhammed migrated from Mecca to Medina.

• Re: plane from mecca to medina

by oscarsterl Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that there is not an airport in Makkah. The closest airport is in Jeddah, which is about a 45 minute drive to Makkah. The flight between Jeddah and Al Madinah is no more than an hour or two.

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

by Mozumbus Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 1:58 AM

As already suggested above, the closest airport to Mecca is in Jeddah. Buses depart from right oustide the haram in Mecca while arrive very close to the mosque in Medina. So counting in airport transfer and check-in, the air travel will be as longer as the road journey. However, flight is absolutely possible and reminds me of the time when we took one when I was only 10!

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I agree with June B) it can be done) the only thing I can add – is when you booking with tour group ask for that option it will make it easy later on.

Sometimes doing booking in kingdom can be difficulty, with 10000s pilgrim wanted the same thing) key is advancing booking & plane.

June B) my trip to Egypt went well, thanks for all your information in the past it was so happy full.

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

You're very much welcome DAN! Glad to hear that you've enjoyed your Egypt trip and hope to see your update of that on your page soon. Goodluck on your next trip! =)

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

by Doctor38 Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

although I know of people flying from Mecca (through Jidda) to Medina, I find it to be waste of time AND money NOT to mention more stressful. after all you'll need to drive for 45 min-1 hour to Jidda allow some time for boarding the plain and than the flight time. The whole Journey will take 4 hrs from you hotel to reach you destination. while if you take a direct Taxi from Mecca to Medina it will take the same duration if not less time and whole lot cheaper. You'll get to see the Baboon monkeys as an added bonus along the way :-))

the whole land trip is more enjoyable through land than wasting your time in an Airport

I use a taxi all the time, never used an air plane between Mecca and Medina

• Doctor38's Profile Photo

by Doctor38 Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The distance between Mecca to Medina in not between 550-600. It is closer to 400 km. A taxi will take any where between 4-4.5 hrs but a bus could take any where from 6-10 hrs. I was on a bus for 9 hrs. So the bus is to be avoided if possible

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

by Mozumbus Online Now Dec 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM

We did SAPTCO bus. It took less five and a half ours. Pretty cheap and yet not uncomfortable. I can safely recommend that!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines