Medellín Travel Answers

change location

Colombia's Fashion Sense

by Kelkan77 Online Now Jun 5, 2007 at 12:01 PM

What do you mean when you say "you can't overdress in Colombia"????? as in you really can't or as in everyone is dressed to impress always???????????

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: Colombia's Fashion Sense

by robine Online Now Jun 5, 2007 at 3:27 PM

You don't say where you're from (or even what gender you are). But, in general, Latin Americans who can afford it dress more smartly (smart casual) than most Europeans or N. Americans.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mllepiggyx's Profile Photo

Re: Colombia's Fashion Sense

by mllepiggyx Online Now Jun 12, 2007 at 11:44 AM

If you are female you can pick your colourful nails. Mine are usually clear or french manicure but I might try some false yellow

• Re: Colombia's Fashion Sense

by serranosoho Online Now Jun 18, 2007 at 3:21 AM

Okay, so I lived in Buenos Aires for almost a year and now in Medellin and Bogota for the past three months. I kept hearing again and again before I travelled how well in South America people dress, and how smartly. I suppose if you're from Kentucky you might think so, but if you hail from any major U.S. or European city there is no comparison. Things here are actually fairly casual; in Buenos Aires because they don't have the money and quality of clothes, and in Bogota because though it's relatively safe, it is still better not to stand out as a foreigner or person with means.

In both places, dressing up basically means wearing anything Izod for men, or a cheap button down shirt. For women, slightly more stylish. But essentially no one would be allowed in a club in L.A. with what the best wear in either places here...

Dress is casual!

• Re: Colombia's Fashion Sense

by azunoman Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 8:15 AM

We live in Arizona, spending ten days in Medellin starting 2/22/2008. Arizona is the casual capital of the world, well if you don't count southern California.

I am not adverse to dressing up with what I call my big boy clothes. I figure I will just land, go to the hotel, look around and become a paisa anyway. Did I mention drinks are on me!

I wear shorts every day...I mean every day...I will take my big boy clothes for those evening occasions, and I don't care if I look like a tourist, as long as I follow smart saftey guidlines that I follow anywhere I travel. With all I have learned, I suspect there might even be a small contingent of military that knows my whereabouts at any given time. :)

We are HUGE Uribe fans! My wife is from this area, though many a year ago, I can't tell you how excited I am about this trip. Even though I use an electric wheelchair and am leaving the ADA world, I think that Colombia, compared to my other LA choices, is the right choice. Yea..I plan on buying somewhere there in the next year or so if not sooner. I hope to become the Anthony Bourdaine of the disabled world, and document my trip...what I could get to, where to stay, etc....

Cheers from Arizona, Fred

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines