Mauritania Travel Answers

change location

overland from ghana to morocco

by kiwi_rach Online Now Feb 15, 2007 at 2:25 AM

I am hoping to travel overland from Ghana to Morocco via Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, The Gambia and Mauritania for 2 months. I was just interested to know if anyone has done this or part of it and could let me know any advice, places to go or not to go etc.
Am not sure about border crossing between Mauritania and Morocco - is it possible to get a visa at the border? And is there any public transport or would I havt to hitch - not sure about that as am a solo female traveller.
Would appreciate any help!! thanks
rachel

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: overland from ghana to morocco

by AilishC Online Now Aug 21, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck- im doing the same trip myself, but taking three months and including Togo, Benin, Spain and France.
    You didnt say when you were going, but we're in Senegal now.
    Morocco visas are not needed for EU (i've been before and just got a stamp at the airport), but apparantly if you're crossing the border from Mauritania you must first get a permit from the Moroccan embassy in Nouakchott. We've heard there is little transport, but we're just going by the philosophy of "there are people going there, so there must be a way".

And well done for doing this as a solo female! I find the harassment bad enough with my boyfriend at my side (although i have had to deal with being completely ignored when im with him in muslim countries)
    Good luck!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: overland from ghana to morocco

by lei_20 Online Now May 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I knowt that you posted that about 2 year's ago, but I am hoping to do something similar, I will be a solo female traveling from Ghana to Morocco. Did you end up doing this? if so I would love to hear everything, how you got to each place, how much it cost, if it was safe, etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Mauritania Travel Answer Locations